GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: FLSA: Hourly
Supports District schools and principals in their effort to foster an optimal educational environment for students. Assist the Lead Mechanic in maintaining all vehicles and ensuring their functional and safe operation. Assist the Department in all transportational needs of the District.
- Assist in maintaining all District buses and other vehicles in a safe and functional condition.
- Diagnoses and corrects problems that are noted by the drivers during their pretrip inspections of the buses.
- Performs maintenance and repairs on transportation equipment.
- Assists in recommendations for repairs when outside contact services are needed for each district vehicle.
- Assist in maintaining a log for maintenance on each District vehicle (including buses).
- Assist in a preventive maintenance program.
- Insures emission tests for the Arizona Department of Transportation is conducted.
- Recommends purchases of supplies needed for transportation equipment, and maintains an inventory of frequently needed parts and supplies.
- Assist in maintaining systematic repair order system (using standard forms) including:
- Driver’s Request for Maintenance,
- Maintenance record file for each bus/vehicle,
- Repair log to be kept in each vehicle.
- Performs all duties of a school bus driver when needed.
- Assists in developing specifications for new vehicles.
- Inspects used vehicles prior to their purchase or lease.
- Attends staff meeting
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent, and/or appropriate mechanical experience.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in automobile and bus maintenance and repair.
- Hold a Commercial Driver’s License, Class “B” with a “P” endorsement and an Arizona School Bus Driver’s Certificate.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to perform major tasks.
- Must be able to work independently from oral and/or written instructions.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have regular and reliable attendance, is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools and/or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Received from: Director of Transportation
Given to: None
At least once annually by the Director of Transportation with input from the Lead Mechanic in accordance with the policy of the Governing Board.