Mechanical Design Engineer - Power Electronics
- Job Category
- Engineering & Information Technology
- Palo Alto, California
- Req. ID
- Job Type
Tesla’s Power Electronics group is looking for a skilled and motivated individual to perform mechanical design activities for our power converter products to be used in Tesla vehicle powertrains and energy storage products.
- Modeling and design of mechanical components and assemblies including plastics, sheet metal, heat sinks, insulation systems, magnetic components, high voltage connectors, fasteners, and other components.
- Mechanical design analysis including thermal, CFD, structural, design for assembly, and design for test.
- Solve electronics packaging issues including: electrical isolation, sealing, thermal management, interconnection, shock and vibration management, electromagnetic interference (EMI), RF communications, etc.
- Develop engineering test plans for designs.
- Create drawing packages and manufacturing instructions for parts and assemblies.
- Assist in engineering prototype builds and component fabrication.
- Collaborate with other mechanical, systems, electrical, digital control, manufacturing, industrial design, and test engineers to take designs from prototype through mass production.
- Experience designing packaging for electronic assemblies including in-depth understanding of relevant component fabrication processes.
- Deep understanding of material science of components used in mechanical design (metals, insulators, plastics, connectors, gaskets, thermal interface materials, potting, etc.).
- Proficiency using 3D mechanical design and analysis tools (CATIA, ANSYS Icepak, StarCCM).
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Knowledge of GD&T, finite element analysis, and design for reliability concepts.
- Experience using CATIA V5 and/or V6.
- Experience with PLM systems, engineering changes, deviations, BOM structuring, etc.
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Python and ANYSYS.
- Experience with environmental, reliability, safety, and industry standard requirements for automotive, industrial & residential products.
- Basic understanding of electrical design fundamentals.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, diecast, etc.
- Familiarity with PCBAs and PCBA components