If you’re looking for an interesting, fulfilling career, you’ve come to the right place!
At Mission Support and Test Services, LLC (MSTS), we’re a dynamic team of employees who manage and operate the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS), formerly known as the Nevada Test Site. A premier outdoor, indoor and underground national laboratory for unique, high-level experiments, the NNSS has offices across the country, including Southern Nevada; Santa Barbara and Livermore, California; Washington, D.C.; and Albuquerque and Los Alamos, New Mexico. We’re dedicated to working together as a team to keep our nation safe. Join us!
MSTS is a limited liability company consisting of Honeywell International Inc. (Honeywell), Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. (Jacobs), and HII Nuclear Inc.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Designers to participate in new and ongoing projects that are aligned with the vision, strategies, and Business Processes of Livermore Operations, for the National Security Enterprise (NSE). You will report to the Livermore Operations Design Supervisor and be located in Livermore, California. They will work directly with Engineers and Designers as an integral member of growing the organizations technical abilities.
Key Responsibilities – (Principal Technologist)
- Plans and conducts mechanical design/drafting work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application, and modification of standard techniques, guidelines, procedures, and criteria.
- Prepares technical documents such as: engineering, manufacturing, and inspection drawings, operational manuals, bill of materials, etc. as required.
- Mechanical design support for product concepts received from Engineering, through detailed designs including 3D CAD modeling and mechanical drawings.
- Generates Engineering Change Order (ECOs) and all supporting documentation for drawing release.
- Basic knowledge of welding, machining, manufacturing and procurement principles, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to accurately track project elements and write status of work reports as required to project and line managers.
- Must be capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Basic knowledge of Calculating dimensional values and tolerance analysis of mating parts
- Participate in concept brainstorming sessions, conceptual design reviews, meetings, email correspondence, procurement, and manufacturing as needed.
Key Responsibilities – (Master Technologist)
- Plans and conducts mechanical design work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application, adaptation, and modification of standard techniques, guidelines, procedures, and criteria.
- Plans, guides, or prepares technical documents such as: engineering, manufacturing, and inspection drawings, operational manuals, bill of materials, etc. as required.
- Mechanical design support ranging from early product concepts through detailed designs including appropriate tooling, 3D CAD modeling and mechanical drawings.
- Work closely with engineers and physicists to design and incorporate new methodologies, materials, fixtures, tooling, processes and products in the development process.
- Guides or generates ECO creation and all supporting documentation for drawing release.
- Extensive knowledge of welding, machining, manufacturing and procurement principles, policies, and procedures.
- Must be capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Calculate dimensional values and tolerance analysis of mating parts as required and present calculations when needed.
- Participate and lead discussions on concept brainstorming sessions, conceptual design reviews, meetings, email correspondence, procurement, and manufacturing as needed.
Due to the nature of our work, US Citizenship is required for all positions.
Principal Technologist level:
- Associate degree in Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Drafting or in field related to the position plus at least 13 years’ progressive related experience or High School diploma plus 15 years’ progressive related experience containing science, mathematics, and engineering coursework with related experience; or Certificate in Engineering Technology or Mechanical Drafting.
- Working knowledge of PTC CREO CAD software.
- Basic knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including working knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing standard.
- Working knowledge of developing Design Concepts.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Intermediate understanding of design, function, fabrication processes, and packaging of mechanical hardware/systems.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications, and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience using PTC Products (Creo/Windchill)
Master Technologist level:
- Associate degree plus at least 18 years’ progressive related experience or High School diploma plus 20 years’ progressive related experience
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard and proficient use of PTC Creo CAD software.
- Advanced understanding of electrical and mechanical design principles and demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Advanced knowledge of engineering hardware design principles, fabrication, and installation processes.
- Applied experience with PTC CREO CAD software with PTC Windchill PDMLink experience.
- Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy of work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed.
- Experience using PTC Windchill PDMLink design software or other database management software.
- For either level position:
- Must be self-motivated and able to complete tasks with minimal or no supervision.
- Must have strong time-management skills, be well organized, and have safe work habits.
- PTC Windchill PDMLink database management skills highly desired.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work closely with professionals having knowledge and skills in numerous technology areas.
- Must be willing and able to travel as required by the job.
- Pre-placement physical examination, which includes a drug screen, is required. MSTS maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Department of Energy Q Clearance (position will be cleared to this level). Reviews and tests for the absence of any illegal drug as defined in 10 CFR Part 707.4, “Workplace Substance Abuse Programs at DOE Sites,” will be conducted. Applicant selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation, and subsequent reinvestigations, and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified matter. Successful completion of a counterintelligence evaluation, which may include a counterintelligence-scope polygraph examination, may also be required. Reference 10 CFR Part 709, “Counterintelligence Evaluation Program.
Eligibility Requirements – To obtain a clearance, an individual must be a U.S. citizen at least 18 years of age. Reference DOE Order 472.2, “Personnel Security.”
MSTS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. MSTS is a background screening, drug-free workplace.