We are aiming to develop the worldâ€™s most cost-effective, automated point-of-care DNA in vitro diagnostic (IVD) assay for small clinics and primary care settings. Our UC Berkeley startup is developing Gates Foundation funded low-cost microfluidic diagnostic technologies capable of on-site multi-target detection of infectious diseases.
We are seeking a Mechanical/Automation/Robotics Engineer with experience in microfluidics, product development, and working for startups and established organizations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design microfluidic cartridges for manufacturing.
- Systematically test device performance.
- Design a sample collection module.
- Design and test mixing chambers on a microfluidic cartridge.
- Establish a proof-of-concept automated microfluidic cartridge manufacturing line.
- Participate in system design, development, and validation.
- Integrate automated in-line stations on a manufacturing line for microfluidic channel forming, wet reagent dispensing, pick-and-place dry reagent dispensing, heat sealing, vacuum sealing, and packaging.
Communicate with suppliers and partner contract manufacturers.
- 5 years of industry experience.
- Previous experience in product development.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree (Masterâ€™s degree, preferred).
- 4 years of experience with manufacturing line setup.
- 4 years of PLC, Ladder/Mnemonic/C language (Siemens/Rockwell/ Mitsubishi), and HMI graphic.
- Proficiency in CAD (Solidworks/Autodesk/Rhino3D).
- Rapid prototyping skills (3D printing, machining, CNC, laser cutting, water jet, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, bread broads).
- Strong analytical experimentation skills (scientific method of forming and systematically testing and troubleshooting hypotheses).
- Able to document and maintain records using a quality system (lab notebook, patents, DHF/DHR/DMR, SOPs).
- Microfluidics, in vitro diagnostics.
- Contract manufacturers.
- Injection molding, thermoforming, vacuum forming, cold forming, soft lithography, PDMS molding casting/bonding, and pressure sensitive adhesives.
- Optics and fluorescence systems.
- Food/pharma packaging manufacturing lines.
- Microcontrollers, computer vision, PCB layout, app API hardware-software integration, and electronics engineering.
- Building systems for ISO9001, ISO 13485, GMP standards.
Powered by JazzHR