- Perform quantity take-off and pricing of mechanical, plumbing and fire protection estimates.
- Develop and document logical assumptions during conceptual estimating activities and applies these assumptions to takeoff tasks.
- Communicate with architects and consultants to clarify and document discussions regarding intent and scope of work, materials, and schedule requirements, and documents these clarifications.
- Conducts reviews of milestone documents in order to identify changes in work scope and develop pricing of value alternative opportunities and recommendations.
- Actively participates in the internal estimate review process
- Assists with final assembly of estimate, consistent with McCarthy standards, for presentation to Owner.
- Solicits trade partners during the bidding process.
- Analyzes and scopes trade partner mechanical proposals.
- After the proposal, collects and organizes all proposal information for input into historical cost database platform.
- Assist field operations with change order pricing.
- Maintain working knowledge of MEP codes and changes to codes.
- Prepare scopes of work, for subcontracts.
- Coordinate mechanical scope of work with architectural, structural, and electrical estimators.
- Prepare budget comparisons between current and previous estimates.
- Utilizes current technology to enhance provided services on both hard bid and negotiated projects.
- Actively schedules and meets with trade partners during the face to face scope meeting process.
- Participates in schedule preparation/evaluation process with McCarthy and trade partner employees
- Is knowledgeable in the McCarthy BIM process and can communicate it to trade partners
Trade partner Analysis for Proposals
- Directs, coordinates and provides information and documents to trade partners.
- Prepares contractual exhibits for scope of work for subcontracts.
- Participates in hard bid/estimating and GMP budgeting activities by soliciting trade partner support and evaluating bids.
Industry Knowledge / Relationships
- Builds relationships with trade partners to obtain a competitive advantage for McCarthy.
- Attends industry events and represents McCarthy to the industry in a professional capacity.
- Builds and maintains relationships with external McCarthy clients.
- Keeps current with latest estimating technology and techniques.
- 2-5 years of mechanical estimating experience and/or Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Engineering.
- Proven experience estimating large projects is desired.
- General knowledge of construction principles/process.
- General knowledge of different contractual deliver methods i.e. negotiated bids, hard bids, and GMP processes.
- Knowledge of Microsoft programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and others
- Ability to use, or learn to use WinEST, TSI, Quick Pen, Accubid, OST, QTO and other estimating programs.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with McCarthy core values.
- Maintains a “value added” approach to preconstruction.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic and core values
McCarthy is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer regardless of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious beliefs, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.