Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
Mechanical (HVAC) Design Engineer III
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are required to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
- Comply with all applicable safety and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely.
- Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions.
- Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Purpose and Scope
Perform a variety of Industrial HVAC/mechanical engineering assignments to support project development, design, installation, operations and maintenance of systems that are located at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The specific types of facilities at which these systems are located include space flight hardware processing facilities, launch pad support facilities, power plants, Engineering and Administrative Support buildings and other types of Industrial Facilities. Projects range from simple single-discipline to complex multi-discipline.
Job Duties and Essential Responsibilities
Must have a solid foundation in basic engineering principles. With minimal supervision, responsible for developing the concept, basis of design and technical design solutions to maintain operability of assigned systems and components. Develop plans, drawings, technical specifications, processes, procedures, functional and data requirements analysis, system analysis, and documentation preparation. Apply cost effective repairs, upgrades or replacements. Apply fundamental engineering principles to develop, design and resolve solutions to a variety of technical problems related to Industrial HVAC and facility mechanical systems and processes. Possess knowledge and experience in the layout, selection, sizing and design of various types of industrial HVAC systems and components – including clean rooms, multiple-zone VAV systems, simple constant volume systems, distribution systems (pumps, pipe, control valves, ductwork, diffusers and registers), air handlers (with coils and economizers), fan systems, central plant systems (boilers, chillers, cooling towers), chilled water systems, packaged HVAC units, fume hoods and dust collection systems. Familiarity with HVAC control systems (BAS, SCADA). Experience in utilizing the Energy Code and ASHRAE and NFPA codes, standards and guidelines. Familiarity with other mechanical systems such as industrial equipment and machinery, steam systems, industrial pump systems, refrigeration equipment, fire suppression, and plumbing systems. Perform field inspections of HVAC and other mechanical systems and attend system start-up field activities. Coordinate with and support other Design Engineers, Operations and Maintenance staff. Support the Configuration Management (CM) group to include the evaluation and monitoring of all modifications to configured systems and the generation of Engineering Change Requests to improve interoperability, reliability, and maintainability. Adhere to applicable CM standards. Update existing Configured Drawings to incorporate system modifications. Ensure that assigned projects are completed on time and within approved scope and budget. Keep all involved personnel informed of schedule status. Interface and coordinate with internal and external customers from project initiation and requirements development to design review and working group meetings in order to ensure compliance with project requirements. Provides technical support to ROM (Rough Order of Magnitude) estimates for projects, as well as risk assessments to support proper project prioritization. Prepare, deliver and submit technical presentations in support of planning efforts. Verify and comply with engineering documentation standards and test procedures. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited program and a minimum of 8 years of experience in the areas defined in this job posting. Working knowledge of computer systems and integrated software application programs. The ability to investigate, troubleshoot, and design solutions to problems in operational hardware and software. Good communication and analytical skills.
It is preferred, but not required, to possess a current and active Professional Engineers license in the State of Florida or be able to attain that license within one year of the start date of employment. May require some limited travel. May require the ability to pass and maintain a Security Clearance.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be able to obtain and maintain required clearances/badges as required by program and position
- Must have the ability to communicate in English, both verbal and written in an effective manner.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Work Environment, Physical Demands, and Mental Demands:
This position involves work typical of an office environment with no unusual hazards; occasional lifting to 20 pounds; constant sitting with use of computer terminal; constant use of sight abilities while reviewing documents; constant use of speech/hearing abilities for communication; constant mental alertness; must possess planning/organizing skills and must be able to work under deadlines. Field work will consist primarily of site walk downs in support of design projects and system trouble shooting Site hazard training and Personal Protective Equipment are provided.
- Safety - PSP enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities, participating in emergency response tasks and serving on safety committees and teams.
- Quality - Quality is the foundation for the management of our business and the keystone to our goal of customer satisfaction. It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the PSP Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable PSP Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
- Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures and policies pertaining to their job.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.