University of Wisconsin-River Falls
University Communications and Marketing
The University of Wisconsin River Falls, a member of the University of Wisconsin System, is located in scenic west central Wisconsin, 30 miles from the multi-cultural, multi-ethnic cities of Minneapolis and St Paul. Year-round arts, cultural and recreational events are easily accessible from River Falls. UWRF's 6,100 undergraduate and graduate students pursue degrees in four colleges: Arts and Sciences, Education and Professional Studies; Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences; and Business and Economics.
The University provides an excellent environment for learning, emphasizing the importance of faculty-student interaction in classrooms, laboratories, academic advising, and co-curricular activities. A favorable student-faculty ratio affords opportunity for meaningful interchange between faculty and students. Strong interests in teaching, research and community service are highly valued. More information about UWRF can be found at: http://www.uwrf.edu/workhere/ .
The media specialist will be responsible for developing a variety of high quality, brand standard visual materials with a focus on visual storytelling for the external marketing and public communication needs of the university. The media specialist will provide photographic coverage for institutional events, campus scenes and campus life, academic and departmental publications, and university athletic events and is considered the primary lead for all campus photography and occasional video services as delivered through the office of University Communications and Marketing, within the Chancellor’s Division at UW-River Falls.
Specific Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
Photography Services (60%)
Oversee campus-wide photography including:
• Take high quality photos of campus events, facilities and faculty/staff/students for marketing and communications projects, including a daily campus newsletter photo.
• Develop productive working relationships with multiple stakeholders and decentralized clients across campus.
• Receive and prioritize requests for photography services.
• Perform photo processing, using software to edit photos for web and print
• Catalog photos in an online visual assets library (PhotoShelter) for future use and manage online library access, including photo printing requests.
• Provide regular faculty/staff headshots.
• Contribute to UWRF’s visual identity on its official social media platforms, Instagram in particular.
• Collaborate in design and layout of publications (brochures, fliers, magazines, etc.).
• Collaborate in optimizing visual content of university website.
Video Services (30%)
Oversee the development of occasional video for marketing purposes including:
• Plan, shoot and edit short video productions as requested; coordinate video projects delegated to external contractors or student interns when needed.
• Identify opportunities to more effectively integrate use of video/multimedia productions in marketing communications and for social media purposes.
• Post video to university social media accounts, including YouTube and Vimeo channels, as requested.
• Embed/provide links to video for institutional communications (presentations, email newsletters, on the website) as requested.
Other duties (10%)
• Maintain and optimize inventory of University Communications and Marketing photographic and video recording equipment.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
• Bachelor of Arts in photography, art, marketing, journalism, graphic design or related field.
• Minimum of four years’ experience in professional photography using multimedia technology.
• Accomplished visual communicator with a professional portfolio demonstrating innovative approaches to photojournalism and/or high-caliber visual storytelling for marketing purposes.
• Proficient knowledge of digital photography, including ability to immediately process and deliver images while offsite/at an event being documented.
• Strong working knowledge of lighting, both on location and in the studio.
• Ability to produce online multimedia features incorporating stills and audio by using software like Adobe Premiere Pro.
• Thorough knowledge of primary digital technologies, including Adobe Creative suite, web CMS, and video editing programs.
• Strong customer service skills and ability to work collaboratively in a creative team.
• Must be flexible and able to prioritize when handling numerous responsibilities.
• Keen attention to detail and sound critical judgement of creative and artistic concepts.
• Ability to maintain a flexible schedule including some required evening and weekend hours.
• The ability to lift and carry materials and equipment weighing up to 100 pounds
• The ability to ascend and descend ladders and stairways
• Minimum of six years of experience in related field.
• Experience with proofreading, editing, copywriting and AP Style.
• Strong skills in writing and multimedia communications.
Materials not submitted throughhttps://jobs.uwrf.edu/cannot be considered.
Interested candidates, please submit:
- Letter of interest specifying qualifications and experience (cover letter)
- An unofficial transcript (official copies of transcripts will be required if hired).
- Provide the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references who can specifically comment on your ability, experience and professional preparation (references).
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Tony Bredahl, Art Director
University Communications and Marketing
Deadline to Apply: Initial review of applications will begin upon receipt.For full consideration, applicants should submit all required materials by November 1, 2018. A criminal background check will be completed on final candidates.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
(This language applies to Academic Staff Searches only:)UW-River Falls does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources at 715-425-4941.
UW-River Falls Diversity Statement: We declare that diversity and inclusivity are core values. We dedicate ourselves to build a culture grounded in principles of equity, social justice, and excellence. We fundamentally affirm and embrace the multiple identities, values, belief systems, and cultural practices of all individuals and communities. We will address fundamental issues of bias, discrimination, and exclusion.
The University is committed to creating an educational community which enhances student awareness and appreciation of diverse ethnicities and cultures and identities which actively supports tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each person without regard to economic status, ethnic background, political views, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics or beliefs. Awareness of and sensitivity to diverse ethnic and cultural heritages are especially sought in applicants.
UWRF is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer subject to all state and federal regulations pertaining to non-discrimination based upon sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, age, arrest and/or conviction record, veteran status, and membership in the national guard, state defense force, or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or the State of Wisconsin. All persons, especially women, persons of color, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Employment is subject to federal laws that require verification of your identity and legal right to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
For a copy of the UWRF campus safety information, see http:www.uwrf.edu/Police/CampusRecordsCrimes.cfm or callUniversity Police at (715) 425-3133 for a paper copy. This material includes crime statistics (Annual Security Report) andinformation on crime prevention, sexual assault, and drug/alcohol issues.
VERSION 8.0 – 7.29.2016