Under the direction of a health care provider, the Certified Medical Assistant is responsible for the delivery of patient care that promotes the safety and well-being of our patients.
UnityPoint Health - Trinity, in the Quad Cities, is a regional integrated health care delivery system including four full-service hospitals in Rock Island and Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf and Muscatine, Iowa with a total of 584 licensed inpatient beds. Trinity’s hospitals, clinics, home health care agency, mental health center, health sciences college and residency program employ more than 3,000 employees. Together, we are working toward physician-driven, patient-centered care to achieve our vision of delivering the best outcome for every patient, every time.
The Quad Cities is a connected, creative and prosperous bi-state community on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. The region is made up of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa - Moline, East Moline, and Rock island in Illinois - and other surrounding communities. The Quad Cities is a great place to live and work. It offers something for everyone including arts and culture, amazing festivals and events, innovative and superior schools and universities, and quality healthcare. The Quad Cities is a premier destination for young professionals and families and sits only hours away from Chicago, St. Louis, and Des Moines.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
- Assist provider and other clinical staff with obtaining basic vital information preparing patient for examination, treatment and minor surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates competence in the clinical skills necessary to carry out assigned job duties.
- May be required to draw and collect blood and other samples from patients and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Administer ordered medical and/or vaccines.
- Schedule referrals for patients with specialist or outpatient as requested by the provider. Complete appropriate forms or requisitions needed for referrals or lab testing, including appropriate CPT/ICD-9 coding.
- Responsible for tracking system for follow-up appointments related to office visits, laboratory tests and procedures to regularly follow patients monitoring disease status.
- Provide appropriate and timely documentation in the patient's electronic health record using standardized workflows and processes.
Development and Patient Education
- Answer questions and provide teaching to patients and family members.
- Thoroughly understand testing (lab and procedures) values and relationship to patient status with accountability to take next steps, as appropriate to scope and licensure.
- Be aware of what is happening in clinic/department and the organization by attending clinic/department meetings, reading emails and regularly checking information on the organization’s intranet site.
- Maintain compliance with CLIA, OSHA, Safety and Risk Management guidelines.
- Maintain compliance and behave in a manner consistent with all policies and procedures, including but not limited to Compliance, HIPAA and personnel workplace rules.
- Behave in a manner consistent with all Compliance and HIPAA policies and procedures.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance at work.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
- Balance team and individual responsibilities; be open and objective to other’s views; give and welcome feedback; contribute to positive team goals; and put the success of the team above own interests.
- Perform other duties as requested
Education: Graduate of an accredited program for Medical Assistants. High school diploma required if work is performed in a moderately complex CLIA lab.
Experience: Computer data entry experience. Previous clinical experience in a medical office preferred.
License(s)/Certification(s): BLS and Mandatory Reporter certification. Current certification from American Association of Medical Assistants AMMA or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Knowledge of medical terminology, Ability to provide care appropriate to the age and diagnosis of the clients, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English, Multicultural sensitivity, Microsoft Office – basic computer skills. Customer/patient focused, Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions, Strong interpersonal skills, Ability to work as a team member, Ability to understand and apply guidelines, policies and procedures, Strong verbal and written communication skills.