Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science.Advancing medicine.Healing made personal.
Dept- 913- North Shore Gen Overhead-OFFS
REQ # 2663612
Job Title:Medical Assistant
Under general supervision, assists physician in rendering patient care by performing routine technical tasks such as taking vital signs and performing administrative tasks needed to run an efficient office such as filling out medical forms.
Roles amp; Responsibilities:
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned which may include: performing venipuncture and/or EKGs, checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room, assisting patients as needed with walking, transferring and dressing, as well as collecting and processing specimens and point of care testing, preparing for exam, etc. Assists physicians with various procedures, takes vital signs, relays instructions to patients and or families; answers calls and provides pertinent information.
- Maintains examining room in proper order by assuring that it is clean, neat and well equipped, cleans medical/surgical instruments and maintains supplies at par level. Inventories, orders or re-stocks medical supplies as applicable.
- Maintains logging system as required for refrigeration of medications, point of care testing, sterilization process, crash cart, point of care testing or others as needed.
- Assists physician in coordinating lab findings.
- Ensures proper flow of patients into exam rooms by periodically checking with secretarial or Central Registration staff and surveying waiting room. Notifies physicians or Office Manager of problems, delays or irregularities in the schedule.
- Performs administrative tasks as needed. Answers inquires made by patients and/or other callers.
- Maintains medical records according to established policy and procedure, when needed.
- Sterilizes instruments and equipment.
- Maintains proper stocking of equipment and medications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to read and write and perform basic arithmetic calculations in order to take and record height, vital signs and to comprehend and follow verbal instructions when assisting physician(s).
- Knowledge of basic biology, anatomy and physiology, typing and medical terminology is required. Normally acquired in a formal training program for medical assistants and/or six to nine months of on-the-job training.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively with patients, physicians and other practice personnel.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved school
- BLS/BCLS from the AHA
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet wersquo;re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinairsquo;s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Lukersquo;s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
Shift : Full-time
Primary Location: New York-Bay Shore