As the multi-specialty group practice for the faculty of the University of Minnesota Medical School, University of Minnesota Physicians has more than 950 physicians and 1,600 health professionals, providing clinical care in over 100 specialty and sub-specialty areas. Our mission is three-fold: delivering exceptional patient care, advancing medicine through research, and training the next generation of health professionals.
Regardless of role, we at the University of Minnesota Physicians recognize that every member of our team is vital. The Medical Assistant Care Coordinator works under the direction of a RN or physician/authorized practitioner with assigned patient population, or individual patient to serve as the liaison between the patient, clinic and provider and assist the patient in understanding and navigating the Deep Brain Stimulation Program. The MACC acts to resolve patient problems that prevent them from receiving adequate and timely health care. This position’s responsibilities include these main areas:
1. Assist patients in enrolling in education and/or Get Well Loop
2. Schedule necessary appointments with emphasis on limiting number of patient trips to campus
3. Enroll and track all patients in DBS database
4. Coordinating, planning and directing care management by working with the patient panel lists and facilitating care with as directed by authorized practitioners, physicians or RNs.
5. Other clerical and administrative tasks as assigned.
Medical Assistant Care Coordinator Overview
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Completes referrals for the team’s patients to include:
- Coordinating the program’s specialty appointments, communicating appointment information to the patient,
- Tracks the appointments to ensure patient attends,
- Documents when a patient does not go to the appointments and sets up a plan for a future appointment for the patient.
- Problem solves any barriers for the patient to attend the specialty appointments.
2. Supports clinic systems and processes that help standardize the patient experience.
- Documents systems and processes
- Communicates processes to ensure standardized patient experiences.
3. Supports RN Care management
- Provides patient information as directed
- Clinic System, (e.g. planned visit, standing orders, group visit, no missed opportunities-Reminders, and tracking)
- Registry maintenance and use
- Answers clinic staff questions regarding DBS
- Data: Provides feedback at a clinic and provider level.
4. Demonstrates ability to provide care or service adjusting approaches to reflect needs of population served. (as applicable)
- Communicates in a respectful manner.
- Ensures a safe, secure environment.
- Partners with patient/care-giver
- Modifies scheduling and communication based on patient needs.
5. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned to include filling in as needed for the CMA position.
6. Performs other duties including Performance Goals developed by manager and employee and reported in the employee’s Performance Review as part of UMPhysicians’ Performance Management tools
- Maintains core/universal competencies and completes any new required learnings.
- Demonstrates all critical competencies and new required learnings.
Medical Assistance Certification from an accredited school. If not certified, must attain certification or registration within first year of employment from an accredited institution
2 + years of care management or similar experience in an outpatient setting.
Self-starter, excellent communication skills in relating to providers, staff and patients of all ages. DETAIL oriented. Proven results achiever.
Good problem solving and organizational skills. Good communication and documentation skills. Knowledge of clinic systems/processes. Microsoft suite and Epic computer skills
Clinic Description: Clinics & Surgery Center
Location: 909 Fulton St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Hours: 1.0 FTE
UMPhysicians offers competitive salary and excellent benefits and provides you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of health care through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.