Company: Oak Street Health
Title: Medical Assistant
Oak Street Health is a rapidly growing, innovative company of community-based healthcare centers that provides higher quality health and wellness care that improves outcomes, manages medical costs, and provides an unmatched experience for patients in medically underserved communities. By providing holistic, comprehensive and integrated care right in our patient’s communities, we can keep our patients healthy and then reinvest cost savings in further care for those same communities and others. Since 2013, Oak Street Health has brought its approach to tens of thousands of people in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Rhode Island, North Carolina and Tennessee. At 60+ locations, and with an ambitious growth trajectory, Oak Street Health is attracting and cultivating team members who embody Oak Street values and are passionate about the mission to rebuild healthcare as it should be.
Oak Street Health takes a team-based approach to providing outstanding patient care. Care teams are responsible for delivering excellent, high-touch, primary care and urgent care. Care teams also coordinate the care of our Medicare patients throughout the healthcare delivery system.
Our care teams in the retail setting will include a NP/PA and Medical Assistant. At Oak Street Health, Medical Assistants are an integral part of our Care Teams. High levels of flexibility, energy, attention to detail, and problem-solving are required to be successful. You will be expected to build relationships with Oak Street Health members. Medical Assistants will work closely and collaboratively with their teammates to greet and room Oak Street Health patients. The Medical Assistant will be expected to assist in assessing patients’ health conditions, including performing routine diagnostic testing during appointments.
In this position, we may also ask you to be available as a Scribe. As a Scribe, you will be the personal data assistant to the provider. This means you handle informatics responsibilities for providers during patient visits in our centers.
- Ensures efficient patient flow by rooming patients in a timely manner and assisting the provider with staying timely on their schedule
- Delivers an exceptional patient experience, and helps patients prepare for their provider visit
- Obtains vital signs, chief complaints and reviews medications
- Delivers patient screenings per protocols
- Orders supplies and stocks exam rooms
- Conducts routine quality control checks including infection control measures, equipment QAs, and checks for expired medication and supplies
- Ensure exam rooms are clean, safe, and ready for patient visits
- Under direction of an RN, provider and/or protocol, provide telephonic support to patients
- Under direction of an RN or Provider, offer MA appropriate “visits” including administering vaccinations, performing procedures including but not limited to: ABI, spirometry, EKGs, etc.
- Perform waived laboratory testing
- Schedule diagnostic testing
- Applies or assists with the application of durable medical equipment
- Participate in care team meetings to discuss patient care and clinic operations
- Observing and recording patient encounters / examinations
- Documenting patient information, history, and diagnoses
- Other duties as assigned
The Medical Assistant will report to the Practice Manager.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for motivated, experienced Registered or Certified Medical Assistants with:
- 3+ years in a Medical Assistant role
- CPR Certification required
- Medical Assistant certification or registration required. Over 5 years of applicable, consecutive Medical Assistant experience may override this requirement
- EMR experience and proficiency required
- 2+ years of experience working with geriatric patients is preferred
- Phlebotomy Technician Certification preferred
- Strong communication skills and customer service orientation
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills, accountability, and a flexible, positive attitude
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred but not required
- US work authorization
- Someone who embodies being “Oaky”
What does being “Oaky” look like?
- Radiating positive energy
- Assuming good intentions
- Creating an unmatched patient experience
- Driving clinical excellence
- Taking ownership and driving for results
- Being scrappy
Why Oak Street?
Oak Street Health offers our coworkers the opportunity to be at the forefront of a revolution in healthcare, as well as:
- Collaborative and energetic culture
- High levels of responsibility
- Headquarters (the “Treehouse”) located in the heart of Downtown, close to many public transit options and great restaurants
- Competitive benefits; including paid vacation and sick time, generous 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health benefits
Oak Street Health is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested readers to apply to oakstreethealth.com/careers.