The Medical Assistant (MA) works with office staff to assist in the care of patients and provision of support services. Primary duties include providing support for cardiology provider’s offices, laboratory specimen collection, and various logistic duties. The MA has contact with patients on a regular basis.
The delivery of professional nursing care at Stormont Vail Health is guided by Jean Watson’s Theory of Human Caringand the theory of Shared governance, both of which are congruent with the mission, vision, and values of the organization. Watson’s Caring Theory ensures the development of therapeutic relationships and involves human beings and their spirit in every aspect of care delivery, and is demonstrated through the implementation of ten (10) carative behaviors:
- attentive listening
- providing information to allow informed decisions
- calling the patient by name
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Greets patients, verifies identity and prepares for provider visit demonstrating excellent customer service skills.
- Accurately collects data such as weight, height, vital signs, patient history and medications and documents data in patient’s EMR.
- Reports normal test results and confers with provider or nurse when needed and documents in EMR.
- Carries out orders, clarifies questionable orders with provider or nurse and properly documents in EMR.
- Cleans and prepares exam room for the next patient.
- Assist provider at outreach locations.
- Performs EKG’s.
- Adheres to staffing and scheduling practices.
- Attends meetings as directed.
Monitors equipment performance such as EKG machine and notifies manager of any malfunctions.
- Inventories, distributes, and requests needed supplies.
- Verify meaningful use data document in patient record.
Active Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA), OR completed a Medical Assistant program, OR Emergency Medical Technician(EMT), OR nursing student who has successfully completed their first semester of nursing skills in an accredited nursing program; must successfully complete department skills checklist within 90 days of hire; must have a current BLS/AED certification within 90 days of hire. non-tobacco user preferred.