Scope of the Job
Provides excellent customer service and greets patients entering the department/practice. A multi-skilled person dedicated to assisting in all aspects of medical practice including administrative and clinical procedures under the direct supervision and responsibility of a licensed physician.
1. Maintains patient privacy.
2. Receives and directs telephone calls to the appropriate personnel. Also makes phone contacts to other departments, physicians, patients and other outside organizations as necessary for the departmental/practice operations
3. Maintains patient scheduling functions, and sets patient appointments through established guidelines
4. Interviews and completes the registration process for patients utilizing the specific service.
5. Keys patient dispositions, diagnostic codes, patient orders, charges and payments as defined in the medical treatment record and/or charge document
6. Performs cashiering functions as it relates to co-payments or other patient payments/collections. May perform routine clerical duties for the department
7. Prepares and maintains all clerical aspects of the medical records through established guidelines in accordance with the Florida State Regulations, a Medical Assistant can perform the following duties under the direct supervision and responsibility of a licensed physician
8. Perform aseptic procedures
9. Take patient’s vital signs
10. Prepare patients for the provider’s care
11. Perform venipuncture and administer routine, non-controlled medications
12. Administer routine stock medication under the direct supervision of a licensed physician
13. Observe and report patients’ signs or symptoms
14. Administer basic first aid
15. Assist with patient examinations or treatments
16. Operate office medical equipment
17. Collect routine laboratory specimens as directed by the provider
18. Perform basic laboratory procedures
19. Perform office procedures including all general administrative duties required by the physician.
20. Age of Patients: ___ All Ages ___ Adults Only ___ Pediatrics Only
Must be able to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, or unusual situations. Must be capable of dealing with periodic cyclical workload pressures and levels of responsibility. Required to make independent judgments without supervision. Must be able to make generalizations, evaluations, or decisions based on sensory or judgmental criteria. Must have the adaptability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure. Requires the ability to work with people beyond giving and receiving instructions.
Requires excellent decision making skills and initiative. Must be very detailed oriented. Possess excellent verbal communications skills in the English language. Basic arithmetic skills are necessary for cashiering. Data entry experience required. Ability to prioritize tasks and organize workflow. Knowledge of ambulatory health care or related health care fields. Skilled in conflict resolution.
Two to four years clerical/customer service experience preferred, ideally in a health care related industry. One year experience with third party payors, and computer experience for imputing data and reviewing patient demographic material preferred. Prefer 1 year Medical Assistant experience.
Education & Certifications
High school diploma or GED equivalent required. Graduation from approved Medical Assistant program. Graduation from approved EMT military Emergency Medical Technician school may be substituted. ICD-9 and CPT coding preferred. Completion of a standard terminology course would be helpful, but not required. Nationally Certified as a Register Medical Assistant. Certified EMT or graduate of a military medical technician school with attendant experience may be substituted for the Medical Assistant certification. Current BLS Certification.
UFJPI is an Equal Opportunity Institution