JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
The Medical Assistant greets patients upon entry, performs check in and check out functions, escorts patients to exam room and preps patients to see medical provider (collects vital signs, patient social history, and medication history).
Under the supervision of a Physician, Mid-Level Provider, and Practice Manager and/or Lead Medical Assistant:
- Handles front desk duties; checking patient in and out, verifying insurance for walk-in patients, answering calls
- Maintains patients’ accounts and records, word processing, and scheduling of patients
- Takes patient histories and vital signs
- Prepares patients for examination and/or procedures
- Assists the physician and mid-level provider with examinations and treatments
- Performs selected diagnostic tests as directed by the physician
- Assists physicians and mid-levels during examinations
- Collects and prepare laboratory specimens, e.g., urine drug screen samples
- Performs basic laboratory tests such as Accucheck (blood sugar)
- Sterilizes medical instruments as appropriate
- Prepares and administers medications as directed by a physician (IM injections)
- Draws blood
- Removes sutures
- Enters data into patient’s electronic record; scans and indexes documents accurately to patient’s electronic medical records
- Arranges for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Strong ethical and moral character references
- BLS certification
- Medical Assistant experience (1+ year preferred)
- Minimum of one year pain management experience preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English. Additional languages preferred.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner-- able to counsel/teach customers, train co-workers, and positively contribute to marketing/public relations. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from patients, regulatory agencies, or members of the medical and business community.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office and EHR management
PPOA celebrates and supports diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. PPOA performs criminal background checks and pre-employment drug screens.