STG International is accepting resumes ofqualified candidates for the Medical Assistant position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSCs mission is to manage and provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional and detention health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation's health, reduce global disease and support the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities that are in place.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and active listening skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated integrity, honesty and cultural competency.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Minimum Education: High School Graduate
- Graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Program located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. Territory.
- One year of experience as a medical assistant in a clinical setting (preferred).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred).
REQUIREDLICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
- Active, unrestricted certification as a Medical Assistant. Certified by one of the following:
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) by the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA),
- Registered Medical Assistant by the American Society of Medical Technologists (AMT),
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA),
- National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) by the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), or
- National Registered title of Certified Medical Assistant (NRCMA) by the National Health Association for Health Professionals
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association® or equivalent.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability and proficiency to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
- Moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct care to patients throughout the lifespan in adherence to the defined Scope of Practice.
- Completes all required competency assessments successfully and updates annually and/or as requested.
- Attends all required training and completes successfully.
- Performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice and certification.
- Provides patient care under the supervision of licensed health care staff to include the registered nurse (RN), nurse practitioners (NP), physician assistant (PA), physician, dentist, psychiatrist, pharmacist, or behavioral health provider (BHP).
- Responds to health emergencies as directed by licensed health care staff.
- Asks patient health questions as directed by licensed health care staff.
- Completes required health documentation in the electronic health record.
- Prepares patient and examination room for health evaluation by licensed health care staff.
- Performs tasks for outpatient health care to include:
- Vital signs
- Fingerstick glucose checks
- Urinalysis, urine pregnancy test, urine drug screening, and other CLIA-waived tests performed at the facility.
- Rapid flu and strep testing.
- Peak flow test
- Infant length/weight/head circumference
- Sterile set up and clean up for minor outpatient surgical procedures.
- Sterilization, packaging, and/or disposal of medical instruments.
- Management of medical waste as per requirements.
- Administration of basic first aid.
- Dressing changes as ordered by licensed health staff.
- Administration of immunizations
- Serving as chaperone during patient examinations.
- Serving as scribe for patient health care encounters.
- Administration of medications via topical, oral, intra-muscular, intra-dermal, and nasally as ordered by licensed health staff.
- Other assigned duties within scope of practice
11. Performs required quality assurance testing and manages inventory as required:
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
- Assists administrative leadership in required supply ordering processes
- Perform required quality testing on CLIA waived equipment and maintain appropriate testing logs
12.Performs support tasks in the health clinic to ensure cleanliness and of medical equipment and furniture:
- Attends to safety and hygienic requirements and tasks to ensure a safe and clean working environment at all times.
- Attends to required tasks to that equipment, clinic room supplies, inventory, and logs are clean, functional, and up to date.
- Record refrigerator temperatures.
13. Performs medication administration and assists with pharmacy tasks.
- Delivers keep on person medication to patients and obtains appropriate detainee signature documenting receipt of items.
- Administers medication via pill line and documents appropriately in the medication administration record.
14.Professionally manages clinic telephone calls to include taking messages, transferring telephone calls appropriately, and alerting appropriate licensed health staff immediately for calls of an urgent nature
15.Performs all record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
16. Transcribes patient clinical encounter information in the health record for other health staff.
17. Maintains functional proficiency and adheres to required electronic health record processes and procedures for professional and accurate
18. Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
19. Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
20. Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of health records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work
21. Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as
prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
22. Attends and participates in required staff meetings
DUTY HOURS / ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This full time position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts. Availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs significantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary (exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical limitations.
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
STG International, Inc (STGi) is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers acompetitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STG International, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.