8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
The Medical Assistant provides basic patient care in a community health center setting. Working with health care providers and other health center employees, the Medical Assistant is an integral part of the patient care team. The Medical Assistant is directly responsible for, but not limited to, initiating medical history, vital signs, height, weight, preparing patients for examination, reporting special problems or complaints to providers, assist in making appropriate health center/referral appointments for patients, and assist with follow up of missed appointments.
MAJOR DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Medical Assistant I
· Maintains patient and Electronic Health Record (EHR) confidentiality.
· Prepares patient and EHR for provider visit, reports special problems or complaints to the provider, and assists during exam as needed.
· Accurately performs and documents basic vital signs, height, weight, chief complaint, and initiates appropriate medical and social history for adult and pediatric patients.
· Performs routine lab and patient procedures (i.e. standing orders, urine dipsticks, phlebotomy, finger/heel sticks, injections/immunizations, and EKG).
· Maintains proper cleanliness and organization of office and medical areas including proactively restocking supplies.
· Assists with processing appropriate referrals and appointments for patients, obtaining authorizations as needed, and follows up to determine if appointments were kept as scheduled.
· Communicates and assists in effective discharge of the patient.
· Follows Universal Precautions and Unity Health Care policies and procedures.
· Participates in clinic record keeping including medical and operational logs.
· Demonstrates appropriate customer service with internal and external customers.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Medical Assistant II
In addition to MA I:
· Assists in the registration process of patients at the health center if applicable.
· Assists in the scheduling/referral of appointments for UHC Patients if applicable.
· Assists in organizing the pharmacy/medical products at the center if applicable.
· Regularly provides basic health education to patients as necessary.
· Serves as a resource for nursing leadership providing input and participating in pilot-projects.
· Acts as a preceptor for newly hired nursing staff members.
· Graduate of accredited Medical Assistant program with diploma.
· Registered Medical Assistant certification preferred.
· High school diploma or GED.
· Current BLS + AED CPR certification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION
· Must successfully pass Unity Medical Assistant screening test.
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills with internal and external customers.
· Bilingual: English/Spanish preferred.
· Willingness to articulate Unity's mission through his/her work.