Medical Assistants perform a variety of functions in the office including rooming patients, entering medical history, assisting providers with minor office surgical procedures, and answering patient calls.In this role, you will focus on Front Office Medical Assistant responsibilities.
• Perform routine administrative and clinical tasks to keep the office of the physicians (and other health Practitioners) running smoothly such as answering phones, greeting patients, updating medical charts and records, handling consents and correspondence, ordering laboratory service.
• Orders laboratory tests using the EMR as requested by the provider. Able to complete requests matching patient’s insurance information with correct provider for the services needed.
• Clinical duties include taking medical histories and recording vital signs, explaining treatment procedures to patients, preparing rooms and patients for examination, and assisting the provider during examinations.
• Preparing and administering medications for patients as directed by the Physician, complete prescription refills, and transcribes refills as outlined in company policy, answer phones in the triage call center.
• Accurately enters patients information into the electronic medical records
• Uses approved medical terminology when communicating verbally and in the medical record.
• Prepares rooms and equipment for specialized procedures and assists providers as needed
• Follow standardized procedures for giving injections to patients
• Uses universal precautions when collecting specimens or preform basic laboratory tests on the premises, dispose of contaminated supplies and sterilized medical instruments.
• Arrange examining-room instruments and equipment, and keep waiting and examining rooms neat and clean.
• Protects patient confidentiality, making sure protected health information is secured by not leaving PHI in plain sight and logging off the computer before leaving it unattended.
• Clinical Care: Ensure that quality patient care is delivered to all patients on a 24-hour basis, and the unit is maintained in accordance with professional and regulatory standards and the philosophy and goals of Hoag.
• Position may require local travel between various locations.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
2 plus years’ experience working for a healthcare practice or hospital.
High School graduate, or equivalent.
Graduate from an accredited Medical Assistant Program.
Knowledge of and ability to use Athena Software EHR, Microsoft Outlook
Certification as a Medical Assistant
Phlebotomy Tech License
*May travel to other locations as needed.