SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Physician Practice � Medical Assistant - works with providers as need to provide direct outpatient care. As a member of the patient care team the MA is trained in performing a wide range of skilled administrative and clinical duties. The MA should be able to perform both front and back office functions. The MA performs a variety of age specific duties in providing direct outpatient care. All clinical care is done under the direction and supervision of a physician and/or mid-level provider.
- Graduate of an accredited medial assistant program, preferred.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant, preferred.
- CPR certification, required.
- Experience providing administrative duties and clinical care in a physician practice or ambulatory clinic setting, preferred.
- Computer literacy, required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Broad range of administrative and technical skills in the context of the healthcare environment.
- Impacts activities in other work areas on a frequent basis and contributes in multiple work areas.
- Make decisions based on departmental policy.
- Demonstrates critical thought process and can work independently.
- Provides feedback to assist with decision making process.
- Works well with others.
- Documents detailed information in patient chart.
- Requires listening skills to maintain cooperative associations.
PRINCIPAL JOB ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Receives patient from the waiting room and escorts the patient to the exam room.
- Obtains and records vital signs, height and weight, chief complaint, medication and allergies in the patient medical record. Records any other department specific information in patient chart. Adheres to all government documentation requirements.
- Records and/or reconciles medical, surgical and family history in the patient medical record.
- Enters the patient�s pharmacy into the patient medical record.
- Records patient critical lab values, adverse reactions and pertinent information and promptly reports to the physician and/or mid level provider.
- Prepares patient and assists the physician and/or mid level provider with set up and clean up of procedures (i.e. pap smear, biopsy, etc�) as per protocols.
- Anticipates patient and caregivers requests and needs and responds in a timely manner.
- Observes universal precautions and aseptic techniques with patient and the proper use of medical instruments and equipment.
- Performs and safely operates all medical equipment according to the manufacturers� instructions and protocols.
- Able to perform administrative duties (i.e. scheduling, registration, insurance authorization, answering phone, schedule testing, refer patients as ordered by physician or mid level provider etc�).
- Assists with patient education in conjunction with the physician and/or
mid level provider.
- Inventories exam rooms and determines supply needs. Restocks rooms to par level. Conveys needs to the appropriate personnel.
- Assist with the daily cleaning of exam rooms and clinic station areas. Assess maintenance needs.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.