Provide psychiatric services to consumers at Jefferson Center for Mental Health. Medical Assistant will collaborate with prescribers in all phases of medication management and follow-up, medication groups, medication problems and side effects. Identify potential physical problems impacting the mental health consumers.
Essential Job Duties
- Coordinate prescription refills; respond to all refill requests within 3 business days.
- Coordinate PAP refills; respond to all refill requests within 3 business days
- Assist in medication groups, as required.
- Assist consumer with med box refills.
- Perform injections.
- Review and order labs, notify prescriber of any abnormal labs requiring immediate attention.
- Assist prescribers in tracking and meeting timeframes for annual labs and AIMs
- Ensure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Coordinate medication processing and applications with PAP office.
- Stock and reconcile the medication cabinets.
- Provide consumers with medication education.
- Screen calls from consumers for medication problems and refills. Return calls promptly, within 24 hours during working days.
- Monitor consumers for side effects of meds or any medical condition that may affect their mental illness.
- Monitor and review consumers’ charts for medication/medical issues with appropriate follow-up.
- Coordination of care with consumers’ prescribers, including documentation of medical medications & dosing, physical diagnoses, and referrals as indicated.
- Submit prior authorizations to consumers’ insurance in a timely fashion; address medication changes with prescribers as needed.
- Attend mandatory in-services, compliance with individualized training plan, if required.
- Participate in POD review meetings by coming prepared with an agenda. Report high risk/problem cases, and utilize a problem solving approach as well as feedback.
- Attend supervision at times and intervals agreed upon with supervisor.
- Engage child and adult consumers and their families in the treatment process and goal-setting, primarily for medications only clients.
- Identify risk factors including lethality. Work constructively with consumer to reach agreed upon outcomes, and coordinate care with internal and external providers.
- Applicant should exhibit enthusiasm, courtesy, adaptability, flexibility, and spirit of cooperation in the work environment.
- Maintain effective interpersonal relations with consumers, peers, subordinates, upper management, visitors and the general public.
- Effectively respond to client/consumer needs and problems, initiates and maintains positive interactions, timely response to phone calls, pages, email and other requests.
- Cooperate with other community agencies, as appropriate, and in agreement with supervisor. Volunteer to work on Center committees and/or task forces.
- Provide back-up for clinical emergencies as needed with various other Center offices.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
- Candidate must have Medical Assistant Certification through an accredited college
Required Work Experience:
- Candidate must have 1 year of medical assisting experience, preferably in a psychiatric setting. 2 years of experience preferred.
Technical Skills and Knowledge:
- Must be knowledgeable of psychiatric medications and typical dosing parameters
- Required to have knowledge of psychiatric care/mental health diagnoses and treatment
- Applicant must have working knowledge of medical terminology and abbreviations for script writing and charting.
- Candidate must have a good understanding of psychotropic medications and their side effects.\
- Candidate must have developed awareness of various medical conditions, medication interactions or side effects that may affect the health or psychological functioning of a client.
- Candidate must have the ability to communicate well with clients from all walks of life
- Candidate must be able to communicate effectively with staff and providers
- Must possess basic computer skills
2021 Salary range
• $32,300 to $43,000*• **Salary is determined based on years of total relevant experience. As an example, a candidate with 6 years of relevant experience would receive a salary of $38,900. • *Salary is based on 1.0 FTE (full time equivalent) or 40 hours per week. Less than 40 hours/week will be prorated and adjusted to the appropriate FTE.