- Provides direct patient care under the supervision of an RN/LPN/LVN and/or physician, evaluates outcomes, and consults with other health team members as required.
- Ability to assist nursing and medical staff with routine examinations and patient treatments. This includes adult and geriatric patients and the general patient population.
- Communicates with physicians and team members about patient's clinical condition, including results of diagnostic studies and symptomatology.
- Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when patient complains of pain.
- Performs patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient's age, explaining procedures/treatments to patients.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors, as ordered by physician/physician assistant.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served.
- Ability to Initiate, position and prep patients for office procedures, obtaining vital signs, ear lavage, etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to assist physicians with procedures and perform services requiring technical and manual skills under the direction of an RN/LPN/LVN and/or physician.
- Maintains infection control standards for exam/procedure rooms; cleans, disinfects, changes linen etc.
- Checks supplies, instruments and equipment in the examination rooms and request supplies.
- Ensures maintenance office instruments.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies; initiates electronic medical record and ensures accurate documentation.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families in accordance with office standards.
- Answers telephone calls in a professional manner, directs calls appropriately; refers patient problems to office physician; schedules patient appointments.
- Verify insurance benefits for network participation, including co-payments and deductible information for point of service collections. Collect and record the payment of co-pays and balances due at time of service.
- Obtain the required patient demographic and financial information for appropriate registration.
- Demonstrate knowledge of (or willingness to learn) clinical information and practices of specialized surgery care.
- Pick up, sort, screen, and distribute incoming mail and faxes.
- Maintain confidentiality of all reports and patient information. Prepare and execute requests to receive and to send out medical records, ensuring that all are complete and contain correct information to protect patient privacy.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- One year experience in a healthcare setting is required.
- Computer skills are required.
- Medical Assistant Certificate required.
- AAMA, AMT or CCBMA preferred.
- Current BLS for the healthcare provider from American Heart Association.
Disclaimer, Compliance and Service Language:
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties and skills required. The incumbent may be expected to perform other duties as assigned.
COMPLIANCE & INTEGRITY: Consistently supports compliance and the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center's Code of Conduct by maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of information, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements (if applicable), and Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center's policies and procedures.
Models and reinforces ethical behavior in self and others in accordance to the Code of Conduct; adheres to organizational policies and guidelines; supports compliance initiatives; maintains confidences; admits mistakes; conducts business with honesty; shows consistency in words and actions; follows through on commitments. All Directors, Managers and Supervisors are accountable for communication, implementation, enforcement, monitoring and oversight of compliance policies and practices in their departments.
SERVICE & QUALITY: In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our patients, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors.
WORKPLACE SAFETY: In addition to defined working conditions and physical requirements, employees are accountable for working safely; following established policies & procedures; utilizing all designated protective personal equipment (PPE) and/or safety equipment assigned for task; and reporting all injuries and hazards to their supervisor immediately. Supervisors and Managers are accountable for ensuring the safety performance of employees; applying consistent practices in compliance with federal, state and local regulations; providing guidance to maintain a safe and healthy work environment.