Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
We are hiring a part-time (0.9 FTE) Medical Assistant for our Pediatrics Clinic in downtown Minneapolis. This position will work primarily days (Monday-Friday), but may also be required to work rotating evenings.
*Work schedule is subject to change based off the needs of the department.
Under the direction/ delegation of a physician(s) or other clinical care team members, the Medical Assistant contributes to the health and well-being of patients by providing quality and competent patient & family centered care/ services that meet HCMC and departmental standards.
- Perform assigned clinical tasks under the direction of a physician or other providers including: administer medications, injections, and immunizations, spirometry, tympanometry, apply minor dressings and splints, connect patients to portable monitors e.g. pulse oximetry, nebulization, glucose monitoring, and urethral catheterization and other clinical duties as delegated within the Medical Assistant scope of practice
- Set up for and provide direct assistance to physicians and other licensed care providers with medical examinations and procedures including: colposcopy, flex sigmoidoscopy, minor surgery
- Perform specimen collection including: blood draws, sputum samples and urine samples.
- Perform hearing and vision screens and developmental testing
- Review patient information as required by the rooming process and competently enter information into the patient medical record
- Perform basic patient care activities including: place patients in rooms, take and chart vital signs
- Under the direction of a physician or other providers, patient information through standardized teaching sheets
- Perform limited registration and scheduling tasks in clinics that do not have clerical support and/or contact Patient Access Services to do phone registration and scheduling
- Clean equipment and rooms
- Procure and stock equipment and supplies and ensure that equipment is operable through quality assurance checks
- Attends mandatory department or unit meetings, in-services and appropriate work related education programs
- Conducts point of care tests as assigned and instructed once competency is established and verified
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with patient and family, team members, department and medical center personnel
- Supports clinic and medical center compliance with The Joint Commission standards, customer service and other initiatives
- Performs various technical clinical procedures within the scope of a Medical Assistant and only after competency is established and verified according to policies, procedures, and protocol including: maintaining oxygen equipment, performing oral or nasopharyngeal suctioning, routine incision care and using resources appropriately
- Performs basic clerical duties in EHR or contacts Patient Access Services for phone registration; answers phones and transfers calls appropriately
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Diploma or Associate’s Degree from an AAMA or AMT accredited Medical Assistant training program that includes a clinical externship or a formal medical services training program of the United States Armed Forces, as evidenced through educational transcripts.
- Experience with EPIC and/or similar electronic health record
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Software
- 6 months related experience or HCMC externship
- Possesses active certification by the AAMA or active registration by the AMT at hire.
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Ability to perform specialized clinical tasks and procedures in alignment with HCMC standards
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to effectively interview patients and collect information required to obtain medical history and to accurately register and/ or schedule patients
- Ability to work cohesively and respectfully with a diverse work force and patient population
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and communicate with multidisciplinary staff
- Basic computer knowledge
- Ability to read and follow written instructions; understand and communicate verbal and written information
- Ability to perform job duties that meet departmental performance expectations as well as HCMC standards related to quality, accuracy, productivity, patient and family centered care, customer service, etc.
- Medical Assistants hired, re-hired, or promoted after April 6, 2015 must possess current certification by the AAMA or current registration by the AMT or obtain that certification or registration within the probationary period. Once obtained, maintenance of current certification by the AAMA or current registration by the AMT is required.
- Medical Assistants hired, re-hired, or promoted on June 1, 2009 through April 6, 2015 must possess current certification by the AAMA or current registration by the AMT or obtain that certification or registration within one year of hire. Once obtained, maintenance of current certification by the AAMA or current registration by the AMT is required.
- Medical Assistants employed by HCMC prior to June 1, 2009 or hired as a result of the integration of HCMC and Hennepin Faculty Associates (HFA), with no break in employment, are considered qualified as long as they have an approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have and maintain valid American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers certification or the ability to obtain this within the first three months of employment.
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.