Performs clinical assistant and clerical duties related to the provision of patient care. Functions in accordance with regional, SMF Policies and Procedures, and care center standards. Performs all clinical duties under the direction of a clinician. Performs laboratory procedures in phlebotomy and specimen handling to preserve specimen integrity. These procedures exclude any that only licensed personnel under state licensure regulations perform. This position is assigned to the Urgent Care center, but may work in any SMF care center to optimally support patient care and business needs on an as needed basis.
Assists clinicians and patients to ensure efficient flow consistent with care center service standards.
Completes routine blood collection within 5 minutes and difficult cases in 15 minutes. Completes procedures scheduled during shift and maintains high quality of work. Follows through on tests and procedures left from a previous shift, and reports any incomplete assignments to assure continuity of procedures. Coordinates tests to achieve maximum productivity and efficiency during assigned shift. Receives written or electronic requests from physician for routine or special laboratory tests.
Greets patients in a courteous manner by introducing self and asking patient to give their name and date of birth. Verifies correct patient by checking the name and date of birth on request with the name and date of birth given by the patient before the procedure is begun.
Maintains patient medical records by accurately documenting actions and charting diagnostic test results.
Maintains phlebotomy tray in a sanitary and properly supplied condition at all times. Uses proper technique in obtaining blood samples. Labels the test tube immediately after procedure is completed with patient name, date of birth, date, time, and initials. Disposes of used needles after use in suitable containers and does not recap needles. Labels specimens, and files reports without errors.
Performs clerical duties related to patient scheduling, patient consent, insurance related documentation, clinician order processing, test results, and patient medical records.
Performs diagnostic tests, administers medications, and collects/prepares specimens as directed by written clinician orders. Prepares patients for exams and procedures.
Properly cares for medical equipment and performs maintenance responsibilities.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Proof of graduation from anaccredited medical assisting program as well as documentedproof of 10 clock hours of injection training is required.
- BLS Healthcare provider isrequired.
- Must have passed the SMF Pre-Screen Test for Clinical Assistants prior to hire. New hire clinical training and testing and Basic SkillsAssessment annually thereafter.
- Must have a State of California Phlebotomy I; CPT II is preferred.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant (CMA) or eligibility for certification preferred.
- Two-Three (2-3) years of previous practical experience as a Medical Assistant in a physician's office is preferred
- Minimum of six months experience with successful venipunctures is required.
- Knowledge of scope of practice for Medical Assistants in the State of California. Knowledge of medical terminology and abbreviations. Knowledge of clinical protocols for vital signs. Knowledge of normal values for vital signs (Blood Pressure, Pulse, Respirations, Temperature). Knowledge of medical positioning for patients.
- Knowledge of scheduling practices/referrals for physician offices preferred. Knowledge of effective teamwork dynamics between front and back office staff.Required BAT Testing, Drug Screens and Mask Fit Test certifications must be completed within 6 months of hire date.
- Sufficient knowledge of medical terminology and the English language, to understand and communicate in a reasonable manner, the duties of the position.
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Vacation/paid time off
- Professional Development
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Medical, Dental and Vision