- Perform administrative and clinical duties under the direction of a provider and/or clinic nurse in a multi-specialty outpatient setting and to facilitate needed pre-work, data collection of vital statistics and post visit documentation. These tasks/duties are inclusive of but not limited to: taking and recording vital signs, medical / family / social histories, preparing patients for examinations, dressing changes, preparing and administering injections, scheduling visits as needed, receiving and documenting telephonic messages from patients for health care concerns, medication refill requests and follow up needs in the Electronic Health Record.
- POLICIES, PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES- Maintain established hospital as well as departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality assurance programs
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT - Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reading current literature, attending in-services, meetings and workshops.
- PATIENT SAFETY - Report potential and actual patient safety, concerns, medical errors and or near misses in a timely manner thru the chain of command and document within the PSN system.
- PATIENT CARE - Establish a compassionate environment by providing emotional psychological and spiritual support to patient, friends and families.
- PATIENT CARE - Promote patient�s independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching patient, friends, identified ley caregiver and family to understand condition, medications, and self-care skills; answering questions.
- TEAMWORK - Maintain a cooperative relationship among health care teams and resolve patient problems and needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- COMPLIANCE - Active participation in hospital strategic initiatives such as quality improvement and monitoring TJC compliance.
- Maintain equipment, stock supplies and transport patients as needed.
- Encourage patients to actively participate in their own care by asking questions and reporting treatment or situations that they don�t understand or may �Not seem right�.
- Participate in orientation, and having successfully completed preceptor training, assume precepting, orientation and evaluation responsibilities of new personnel
- Use emergency resuscitation equipment, maintain crash cart, echo equipment and run treadmill equipment, etc.
- PREWORK - Completes pre-work for each clinic day 4 days out � to include validating patient readiness for visit with lab/rad/referral completion, authorizations, coordinating interpretive services, etc. Discussed in daily huddle with Team.
- PREWORK - Prepare treatment rooms for patient exam, keeping rooms neat, clean and stocked.
- Prepare and administer medication as directed / ordered by a provider, according to policy.
- Operate equipment to administer routine diagnostic and point of care tests, i.e. glucometer, EKG, robo nurse, nebulizer, bladder scanner, electronic scales, etc. documenting results in the EMR as indicated by policy.
- Assist provider by setting up for diagnostic procedures such as biopsies, sutures, tissue collection, pap smears, etc. and proper labeling and transport of specimens to the lab.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and provider instructions to patients as indicated.
- Assist patients needing ambulatory assistance as necessary to the exam room and in prep for visit.
- Dispose of contaminated supplies and bio-hazardous waste according to hospital policy and safe transport of instrumentation to/from Central Sterile per policy.
- Responsible for reviewing: message pool communications and responding as needed to complete medication refills, prior authorizations, reminder notice updates, as well as to facilitate communications between providers and patients via the EMR.
- Provide administrative and clerical support as needed such as: data collection/chart audits, schedule appointments (as needed), verify medical coverage, receive and send faxes, print / mail lab results to patients, and take incoming clinic calls escalated from Central Scheduling to the clinics document action taken or message sent to provider for review in the EMR.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned within established parameters.
Integrity: Our words and actions match our values
To Serve: We put the needs of others before our own
Excellence: We strive to exceed expectations and/or standards in every activity, every encounter, and every initiative
Safety/Quality: We provide evidence based care, programs, services, and an environment that achieves the best outcomes
Teamwork: We enjoy the ability and power to work collaboratively to deliver exceptional service
- Accountable for budgetary compliance with regards to weekly / monthly supply ordering
- Must be able to read, write and speak English
- Contacts are normally made with others both inside and outside UNM-Sandoval.
- Contacts are usually with own department staff and own supervisor and with other departments and/or locations.
- Contacts frequently contain confidential/sensitive information necessitating discretion at all times.
- Contacts are 80% face to face interactions, 10% phone and 10% computer email and other methods of communication.
- Some medical / health care knowledge
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as windows, excel, etc.
- Managing files and records and other office procedures and equipment (i.e copier, fax, pc, phone)
- Basic medical terminology
- Active listening skills
- Social perceptiveness skills
- Skill in monitoring patients and taking corrective action within established parameters
- Critical thinking skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact and cooperate with co-workers, strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Able to readily utilize clinical equipment including but not limited to: Robo nurse, nebulizer, glucometer, electronic scales, etc.
- Able to read and write English.
Education requirements: High School Graduate/GED and completion of an accredited Medical Assistant / Specialist program. Military Medic / Corpsman graduate (DD214 form).
Licenses/Certifications: current CPR/BLS certification
Work Experience preferred: 2+ years� experience in a multi-specialty physician outpatient practice.
Required Education / Certification: Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant � From a National Medical Assistant Certificating body: (CMA, RMA, AMT, AAMA, NRCMA, CCMA, etc) (School certificate will not suffice).
- Job is not supervisory in nature
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference checks and a post offer drug screen.
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Tuberculin Skin Test required annually
- Hospital required vaccinations
- Hospital required competencies
- Typical office and/or patient care, acute care hospital environment.
- Must be able to travel locally between facilities and within the surrounding community.
- Occasional exposure to minimal physical risk