Job Title: Medical Assistant
Employment Type: Temporary Part-Time
Job Summary: Under general supervision individual is responsible for taking and recording patient vital signs, collecting specimens, preparing patients for examinations, treatments and otherwise assisting the physician in examinations and treatments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform initial response screening following protocols approved by supervising physician; obtains information from patient to complete appropriate paperwork to update patient history.
• Determines and documents reason for the visit; utilizes critical thinking skills within the scope of the role to assess if patient information requires higher level follow up.
• Obtains patient vital signs and accurately documents information in patient file; This includes but is not limited to the following: vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height and weight; calculates and documents BMI.
• Performs diagnostic tests as directed by physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. May operate equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
• Administers prescribed medications and assists in office procedures as directed by physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
• Facilitates prescription renewals as directed by ordering provider according to ACCESS protocols.
• Tracks and informs patient of laboratory/diagnostic test results as directed by provider and according to ACCESS/office protocols; communicates with patient regarding provider instructions based on test results received.
• Performs general specimen collection duties (including blood, urine, throat swabs, etc. or other office procedures as required; during the performance of these duties adheres to all access specified policies, procedures and safety precautions.
• Provides patient/family education as directed by physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant.
• Assists with lifting and transferring of patients and medical equipment when required.
• Assumes additional duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Previous experience and competent in obtaining current patient vital statistics (height, weight, accurate blood pressure, temperature, etc.) and patient health history.
• OSHA, HIPPA, and confidentiality standards.
• Solid critical thinking skills with the ability to effectively problem solve (e.g. able to determine if a patient issue requires immediate provider attention if there are significant changes to the patient history or other clinical issues that are presented).
• Strong customer service skills.
• Strong multi-tasking skills.
• Use a using a computer system at a high level of proficiency, with the ability to efficiently utilize clinic technology and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word).
• Use medical equipment (EKG, PFT, etc.)
• Perform UA, HCG test, STD screening, school physicals, immunizations and other general duties.
• Communicate in a courteous and friendly manner at all times and to work effectively as a member of the clinical care team.
• Read and write at a competent level in order to fulfill essential job responsibilities.
• Use general office equipment (fax, phone, copier, etc…)
• Write legibly.
• Perform mathematical calculations as needed during the course of performing basic job duties (e.g. calculating proper dosages for patient immunizations).
• Organize daily work load, keep assigned providers on time to the extent possible or, to help provider manage changes to their schedule to ensure that all patients receive the highest level of care.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
• Minimum Degree Required:
o High School Diploma or GED.
• 2 years previous clinical experience or equivalent combination of education, experience, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
• Licenses/Certifications Required at Date of Hire:
o Certified Medical Assistant
Hours: Normal business hours. Some additional hours may be required.
Travel Required: 0%
Working Environment: Climate controlled office environment during normal business hours.