JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant
DATE: September 2020
REPORTS TO: Team Lead and Regional Manager
SITE LOCATION: All MMD centers
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The Medical Assistant performs a variety of clinical duties under the direction of a physician or physician extender to provide clinical support to our physicians, along with performing patient care administrative duties necessary to deliver quality patient care and being responsible for and ensuring overall satisfaction of the patient experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
Primarily accountable for specific functions and results. List by order of importance in descending order.
Not exhaustive and subject to change as necessary.
Describe Essential Functions
Medical Assistant Duties
Approximately 85% of time
Patient Care Coordinator
Approximately 10% of time
changes, or additions to therapy on ongoing patients
Approximately 5% of time
EDUCATION, COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma (or equivalency) [Minimum required]
- Graduate from an accredited Medical Assistants program licensed by NYS Department of Education. [Required]
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a healthcare environment, a plus; education may substitute for experience
- Strong knowledge of all job-related functions.
- Direct patient care experience, 2 years’ experience preferred.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple managers and key stakeholders in a fast- paced environment
- An effective independent worker, with the ability to also work with and through others
- Excellent execution in an autonomous and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Professional demeanor and proven ability to deliver results on deadline-driven projects
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and diplomacy skills; the ability to interact effectively in person and in writing with people of various professional and cultural backgrounds; prior exposure to a diverse, multi-cultural work environment desirable.
- Strong attention to detail, while maintaining a high level of organization
- Ability to work in a varying schedule including nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays. High level of professionalism, especially in maintaining discretion in confidential situations.
- Able to adapt to different physician’s styles and needs
- Fluent in Arabic, Bengali, Creole, French, Hindi, or Spanish is a plus.
TASKS NOT TO BE COMPLETED BY MEDICALASSISTANTS:
- Drawing up or administering vaccinations or immunizations, including preparing and administering allergens.
- Drawing up any medication in syringes
- Administering medications through any route
- Administering contrast dyes or injections of any kind
- Placing sutures and other forms of wound closure
- Taking x-rays or independently positioning patients for x-rays
- Applying or removing casts
- First assisting in surgical procedures
- Inserting or removing IVs or catheters of any kind
- Relaying positive test results to patients
- Teaching patients self-injection of medications or self-catheterization
- Performing EMGs or other nerve conduction studies
MA certification or MA degree
Occasional (0-40%) / Frequent (41-71%) / Constant (72-100%)
- Frequent travel (within Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens) which may require walking distances, lifting and carrying luggage and boxes(>25bs).
- Frequent lifting, bending, pulling, collating, and filing, some of which could be heavy(>15lbs).
- Constant computer work which may require repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting and sustained visual and mental applications anddemands.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the positions.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
ModernMD maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies
to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.