Part-time Medical Assistant
CLASSIFICATION/STATUS: Non-Exempt, Part Time, Permanent
Immediate Supervisor: Lead Medical Assistant
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Clinical Supervisors: Nurse Manager, Charge Nurse and Clinical Operations primarily, with Family Physicians, and Family Nurse Practitioners providing additional floor supervision regarding individual patient care.
WHO YOU ARE:
YOUR ROLE & IMPACT
As part of the dynamic team at Charles River Community Health (CRCH), a healthcare practice providing comprehensive and compassionate care to underserved communities, the Medical Assistant will perform a variety of clinical and administrative tasks to keep the Medical Department running smoothly. The duties of Medical Assistant include but are not limited to taking medical histories, taking vital signs, managing patient flow, faxing, prescription requests, inventory and stocking, preparing instruments for use as well as any other duty assigned by supervisors.
- Coordinate unit flow and monitor waiting area.
- Escort patients to examination room, take and record patient history and vital signs such as height, weight, pulse, blood pressure, temperature, etc. for adults and children.
- Perform and mount electrocardiograms (EKGs), and 3 DERM.
- Obtain urine and blood samples and run point of care testing such as INR, A1C, HCG, Hb, Glucose, IH Lipids, Rapid HIV etc. Prepare specimens for transport to outside lab. Lab coverage for all clinical patients including MAH Prenatal.
- Perform vision and hearings tests. Record information in charts as required.
- Ensure that all required forms and or screenings such as PEDS, PHQ, MCHAT, Food Insecurity, C3 RAF forms, PVPs, GADS, SBIRTS, Tobacco Cessation, Fall Risk Assessments, School and Camp Forms, Procedure Consents, and Release of Medical Records are distributed, completed, and entered correctly.
- Assist Provider during examinations and in minor procedures when necessary as well as in their school sessions.
- During an acute medical emergency, act as liaison with other Health Center personnel, ambulance service and hospital. Must exhibit professionalism under stress. Assist providers with treatment during emergency.
- Provide emotional support to patients during routine and emergency visits to Center.
- Provide follow up communication by phone or mail with patients.
- Handle phone calls and book appointments as appropriate. Cover check out when needed.
- Wash, wrap, and prepare all instruments for sterilization. Assist with daily cleaning of rooms, stocking and maintenance of all inventory and supplies.
- Provide skilled interpreting services within the department, and if available, to other parts of the Health Center.
- Work within his/her assigned team, to ensure that daily tasks are being done and assistance is being provided to the team such as inventory, scrubbing scheduled, covering lab, and covering sessions.
- Assist with the organization of ongoing in-service education within the Health Center and with outside agencies.
- Participate in community outreach activities.
- Maintain current patient education and referral information system in consultation with the staff.
- Participate in training and orienting of new staff.
- Work collaboratively with other Health Center staff in meeting JCAHO accreditation and other regulatory and/or funding requirements.
- Attend and participate in team lead meetings, monthly staff meetings, and other activities that the Health Center promotes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, TRAITS
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Medical Assistance Certificate required.
- Required to work Evenings and Saturdays as needed in both locations.
- Mature, responsible, and team oriented.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in health care.
- Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to function in a changing environment.
- Experience in diverse culture preferred.
- MUST be Fluent in Spanish or Portuguese.
- Strong conversational and written capabilities in English and Spanish required.
WHO WE ARE & WHAT WE DO
Charles River Community Health�s mission is to improve the health and well-being of the communities of Allston, Brighton, Waltham and surrounding areas by providing quality, compassionate, coordinated care that is patient-centered, family friendly, and community focused.
CRCH is a comprehensive practice providing medical, pharmacy, dental, behavioral health, optical, and vision services to diverse underserved local communities. We serve over 15,000 patients annually, and 80% of those served are well below the poverty line while over 60% speak in a language other than English.
We are committed to providing patients with timely access to the right care, at the right place and at the right time, collaborating with other organizations to connect patients with a comprehensive range of services and provide continuity of care, and creating new community partnerships to meet the changing needs of patients and the community.
We value caring for everyone with dignity, respect, and compassion, reducing cultural, financial and other barriers to care, and eliminating health care disparities for our patients. We also advocate for the needs of our patients, the community, and public health causes.
If you are passionate about providing service excellence in a mission-driven, team-oriented, and progressive organization, you will find your career as Medical Assistant rewarding and impactful! You will also find a partner in your career path goals and trajectory!
OUR BENEFITS & PERKS
Medical & Dental Insurance
Short & Long-term Disability Insurance
Generous Paid Time Off
Flexible Spending Account
Employee Assistance Program
Tickets at Work
Health Reimbursement Arrangement
Professional Development Opportunities
Solid track record of developing and promoting employees internally!
Employee Signature: _______________________________________________________ Date: _______________________
Charles River Community Health is strongly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employee differences and similarities. By providing and supporting a work culture that fosters and builds upon diversity and its strengths, CRCH will better serve our local communities and continue to provide quality patient care and services. CRCH is an employment at-will organization and an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, CRCH prohibits retaliation against an applicant or employee because he or she has engaged in protected activity under the statutes prohibiting discrimination in the workplace.