Medical Billing Clerk
University Emergency Medicine Foundation (UEMF) is the academic emergency medicine physician practice plan of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University. UEMF provides emergency department staffing for Rhode Island Hospital, the only Level I trauma center in this region; Hasbro Children’s Hospital, Rhode Island’s only children’s specialty hospital; The Miriam Hospital, a leading community teaching hospital and Newport Hospital, a community Magnet Hospital. UEMF member physicians and providers treat over 250,000 patients per year at our 4 clinical sites, drawing patients from Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut. As a non-profit foundation, UEMF is committed to its mission and vision of academic and research support. UEMF offers an excellent benefits package, including 85-90% employer-paid medical and dental, vision, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and generous 401(k) retirement plan.
UEMF is currently seeking a highly motivated and professional Medical Billing Clerk at our Center for Sports Medicine. This is a three day per week, 24-hour position. The Medical Billing Clerk is responsible for performing billing functions for a small orthopedic and sports medicine office. They will also maintain the office flow by navigating through electronic records and online appointment scheduling.
Other responsibilities include:
- Enters patient billing data information and related payments for all insurances into the practice management system.
- Responsible for making billing deposits.
- Researches and responds to status of patient eligibility.
- Verifies insurance coverage for all third-party liability illnesses/injuries.
- Performs clerical functions including typing, filing, and maintaining related correspondences.
- Follows up with all insurance companies regarding outstanding claim issues.
- Notifies supervisor of any credentialing/re-credentialing issues that may arise.
- Assist with answering phones.
- Responds to inquiries and requests from all customers/patients and resolves as authorized.
- Researches and responds to status of patient eligibility for clinic charges.
- Maintains correspondences with customers and patients.
- Reviews delinquent accounts recommended for write off to ensure conformance to applicable collection policies.
- Will be expected to fill in for the Medical Office Administrator in her absence.
The qualifications for the position are:
- A minimum of 1-2 years of medical billing experience.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Superior interpersonal skills are required. Comfortable working with patients as well as people at multiple levels of the organization.
- Ability to prioritize and organize a variety of tasks.
- Maintains the highest standards of ethical conduct and professionalism.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly in English both verbally and in the written form.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle as transportation between offices may be required.
- Must submit a background release form and demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information.
- Knowledge of third party billing, ICD-10-CM, CPT-4 coding and medical terminology is required
Successful candidate must submit to a background release form, demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information and must possess a driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle as some transportation may be required.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves and others. UEMF is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide a workplace free from harassment. For more information about UEMF, please visit our website at www.uemf.org.