As part of NYC Health + Hospitals, the Office of Population Health (OPH) as a broad portfolio encompassing ambulatory care transformation, development of innovative care models, chronic disease prevention and management, research and evaluation, population health analytics, and social determinants of health. The Mental Health Service Corps (MHSC) is a shared program between the Office of Population Health and Office of Behavioral Health. MHSC is an exciting opportunity to providing a training ground for early career social workers in diverse health care practices across NYC Health + Hospitals earning valuable clinical experience while receiving ongoing training and structured supervision.
30 Social Work Trainees are placed in primary care practices throughout the system, providing integrated behavioral health treatment through the Collaborative Care model, a team-based care model whose goal is to expand access to behavioral health treatment where services may not otherwise be available. Placements may be in adult primary care, pediatrics, geriatrics, HIV services or women’s health.
We are seeking a Medical Director, Mental Health Service Corps – Behavioral Health Integration who would spend 40% of their time in active clinical practice, with the other 60% dedicated to responsibilities within the Office of Population Health. The Medical Director would serve as the clinical half of a “clinical-operational dyad,” working closely with and reporting to the SVP of Care Models and Analytics. The Medical Director serves as the clinical principal for the Collaborative Care team and MHSC in primary care.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating to revise system-wide behavioral health integration strategy for primary care and serving as a clinical advisor in its implementation, as needed
- Scaling up BH screening activities in PC, working with clinical leadership across H+H to support buy-in and implementation efforts
- Collaborate with MHSC Program Manager to coordinate supervision efforts between clinical supervisors, Psychiatric Consultants, and support staff
- Liaise with Training and Coaching teams regarding physician education efforts
- Work closely with Collaborative Care Coach team and Program Manager to engage MHSC sites in PC and drive towards goal of increased integration of behavioral health within primary care sites
- Assist in developing and executing curriculum for trainings aimed at supporting primary care practices in integration of behavioral health in primary care
- Support the development and implementation of new clinical tools in the EHR to support behavioral health integration
- Support the development of internal and external communications, patient education materials, research and policy manuscripts, grant applications and provider training and reference
- Stay abreast of regulatory policies that may impact MHSC in primary care (e.g. NY State Department of Education, billing); where appropriate, make recommendations for where advocacy for revised or new policy.
- Manage and provide supervision of the four MHSC Psychiatric Consultants
- Monitor quality of consultative work with MHSC clinicians placed in primary care practices
- Assure good collaboration between psychiatric consultants and primary care practices
- Recruit and orient new psychiatric consultants as needed, in collaboration with Collaborative Care Program Director
- Assist in QI efforts in the implementation of:
- Clinical pathways and assessing evidence-based practices to fidelity
- Data review and use of data within Collaborative Care and MHSC to drive change and process improvement for effective Collaborative Care treatment