Atlantic Health System (AHS), headquartered in Morristown, NJ, is an integrated health care delivery system powered by a workforce of over 16,500 team members dedicated to building healthier communities. The system is comprised of 350 sites of care, including six hospitals: Morristown Medical Center, Overlook Medical Center, Newton Medical Center, Chilton Medical Center, Hackettstown Medical Center and Goryeb Children's Hospital. Atlantic Health System also supports communities through Atlantic Medical Group, Atlantic Rehabilitation, Atlantic Home Care and Hospice, and its subsidiary, Mobile Health. Atlantic Health System sponsors the Atlantic Accountable Care Organization, one of the larger ACOs in the nation, and Optimus Healthcare Partners.
We are confident that you will find success within Atlantic Health System, which has been named for the 11th year in a row to Fortunes Top 100 Best U.S. Companies to Work For list. Here, you will find a collaborative culture and quality care that exemplifies the value we place on our patients, their families and our employees.
Our esteemed organization is seeking to hire a Medical Service Line Director, responsible for aligning strategic and clinic leadership for primary care and medicine specialties to further our enterprise mission of building healthier communities through performance, growth, population health and innovation, research and education. Specifically, leading and further developing the High Performing Primary Care Network with both Internal Medicine and Family Practice and lead strategic Program Development to achieve High Performing Medicine Specialty Service Lines.
Position RequirementsAbility to establish meaningful relationships with Service Line stakeholders and ensure clear and consistent communication throughout the SystemDeep understanding of the Service Line and Market dynamics, including identification of potential Market DisruptorsAbility to develop strategy and grow programs that are consistent with the System Strategic Plan and Budget and focus on building a more integrated systemFocus on patient outcomes and ability to track and work with clinical team to set clear expectations for quality prioritiesExperience in achieving financial and operational resultsProblem solving and critical thinking skillsWork collaboratively with colleagues across the system to decrease silo thinking and promote system focus and support unique needs of each region.Provide minimum of 40 percent of time in clinical practice to 1) establish clinical credibility; 2) have firsthand knowledge of issues and opportunities; and 3) role model behaviors.Track Record of Success at Building Programs at a Teaching Facility and SystemTrack Record of Recruiting and Developing High Performing Physician Groups at multiple facilitiesDemonstrated Ability to balance transitioning Risk Based Reimbursement and Fee-For-Service EnvironmentsDemonstrated Ability to Motivate and Energize employed and voluntary physiciansDemonstrated Ability to Develop Innovative Clinical Delivery systemsDemonstrated Ability to Develop Innovative Educational and Research Programs Demonstrated Ability to reduce clinical Variation to roll out clinical protocols including physician office, acute care and post-acute care settings
Service Line Growth Goals
achieving primary care recruitments that complete our medical neighborhoodsincreasing number of lives touched and number of patients returning for care at AHSachieving value-based measures including proper utilization, transitions and chronic disease management achieving quality outcomes and achieving goals for clinical variation improvement and network integration.
- Lead and further develop the High Performing Primary Care Network with both Internal Medicine and Family Practice:
creating service line strategic plansachieving necessary recruitments to complete our medical neighborhoods; increasing number of lives touched and number of patients returning for care at AHS; achieving appropriate utilization of care; achieving quality outcomes and external recognitionachieving goals for clinical variation improvement and network integration
- Lead Strategic Program Development to achieve High Performing Medicine Specialty Service Lines (GI, Endocrine/Diabetes Care, Pulmonary, Nephrology, Rheumatology, Infectious Diseases, Geriatrics, Palliative Care):
creating a short and long-term plan that efficiently and effectively uses resources for high quality care
- Lead Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine to include a consistent, sustainable and high-quality inpatient experience leveraging telehealth services across the system:
- Develop Service Line growth plan that supports overall enterprise strategy
- Coordinate with Market Leaders, business development and physician enterprise with support from planning, finance, marketing and ambulatory services
- To recommend an annual strategic plan and budget
- To develop tailored growth-oriented business plans for each initiative to support timely and successful implementation
- To recommend and implement approved Service Line strategies that focus on the unique needs of each Region
- Stay abreast of technology changes and implement appropriate new technology which enhances value
- To identify Service Line specialty gaps in medical neighborhoods across the system; create recruitment and succession plans where needed; implement approved strategies to provide access to create capital plan to deliver Service Line growth strategy
- Escalation of key issues in a timely manner and create plan to resolve
- Strengthen relationships with referring and Service Line physicians across the System to support a network of coordinated patient care and resolve operational issues that negatively impact care
- Execute plans according to agreed-upon timelines and budgets
- Identify potential affiliations and partnerships
- Support physician recruitment and retention efforts
- Ensure business plans stay on track and alert team with any material changes
- Work closely with respective Foundation to meet Fundraising goals for SL projects
- Represent and communicate service line goals to key regional constituent groups
Service Line Performance GoalsAchieve nationally recognized quality and safety metricsIncreasing both the prestige of the GME and UME Programs at AHS facilities and the number of physicians who remain at AHS post training: -improved Match Results and an increase in AHS trained IM physicians joining AMG/returning to the communityAchieve top quartile scores for patient, provider and employee engagementBuild Service Line infrastructure to support care, people and outcomesAchieve Service Line earnings and margin targets to support growth and investmentsSupport all AHS areas in achieving Employee, Physician and Patient Satisfaction goals
ResponsibilitiesEstablish inpatient quality goals jointly with Service Line medical director, campus CMOs and CNOs; support team to meet inpatient performance targets; all inpatient nursing units will report directly to campus CNOs with dotted line to Service Line directorEstablish ambulatory quality goals jointly with Service Line medical director and AMG physicians; track and communicate outcomes; all ambulatory satellite centers will report directly to Service Line director; specialty practices will have matrix reportingMeet physician, patient and employee engagement targets in service line, coordinating with physician enterprise, Human Resources and system CNOMentor service line leadershipDevelop and meet operational and capital budgets for Service LineReduce duplication in services where appropriatePlay a leadership role in fundraising organizations efforts to raise Service Line capital
Service Line Population Health GoalsImprove affordability and create seamless transitions of careEvolve care management capabilities for new payment models
ResponsibilitiesParticipate in the development of an integrated care delivery system and ensure compliance with chronic care, complex care, and discharge planning processesWork with integrated care delivery teams to develop processes to coordinate and stay connected to patients after dischargeSupport standardization of hospital-based services clinical pathways across the system and work to ensure that all Service Line providers are "in network"Reduce clinical and cost variation in Service Line throughout the systemIncrease utilization of palliative and hospice care as appropriateDecrease readmissions in Service LineRecommend regional community health and prevention initiatives in each Region
Service Line Research and Education GoalsEnhancing the Department of Medicine Research to create greater patient impact Promote a culture of continuous learning and discoverySupport innovative partnerships in research to enhance the lives of our patients
ResponsibilitiesIncrease in high impact studies, grant dollars and enrollment Create research development plan and budgetReview innovative technologies to improve careSupport education across the enterprise
- Board Certification with 10 years of leadership experience
Atlantic Health System, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and federal contractor or subcontractor and therefore abides by applicable laws to protect applicants and employees from discrimination in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay, fringe benefits, job training, classification, referral, and other aspects of employment, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetics, or veteran status.