Allegheny Health Network (AHN) has partnered with Emerus, a nationally recognized, innovative leader in the delivery of emergency, inpatient, and diagnostic medical health care and the nation's first and largest operator of micro-hospitals. From the moment a patient walks through the door, a team of exceptional medical professionals take charge, treating patients with speed, compassion and expertise. Our state-of-the-art hospitals are fully accredited and provide highly individualized care. We have created a special place where patients can expect the highest level of care when every second counts right in your neighborhood.
The purpose of this position is to provide technical assistance and supportive patient care to meet the needs of individual patients throughout assigned areas. Responsible for the collection and analysis of laboratory specimens and subsequent result reporting according to laboratory protocol and procedures. Acts as general supervisor over assigned lab activities.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs tasks, duties and/or complex tests in all areas of the laboratory assigned according to established laboratory protocols and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations, COLA accreditation requirements and hospital standards.
- Collects and processes specimens utilizing protocols and technical knowledge.
- Performs quality control, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting protocols to ensure proper functioning of instruments, reagents, procedures.
- Validates and delivers results of tests performed and assists with all technical troubleshooting and quality assurance issues.
- Follows established safety practices including biohazards, exposure control plan (blood-borne pathogens), infection control to include standard precautions, employee right to know (hazardous chemicals), and chemical hygiene standard and maintains required documentation for compliance with federal, state, and local, regulations.
- Assist with performing proficiency testing for each test to include corrective action when necessary.
- Develop and foster collaboration among clinical departments and affiliated services to ensure an integrated and coordinated approach to providing laboratory services and resolution of customer complaints or problems.
- Coordinate and perform all pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytic laboratory activities in collaboration with the lab director and technical consultant
- Assist with patient care and other activities as assigned by the Hospital Administrator/designee as indicated by the patient’s plan of care
- Collect, report, and document clinical data. Take vital signs, height and weight, intake and output, pulse oximetry, and collect specimens
- Provide for patient safety related to age and condition
- Maintain patient privacy and confidentiality of information and records at all times
- Provide and maintain a clean, safe environment and perform and/or assist others to perform proper aseptic technique, isolation procedures, and infection control measures
- Assist with the admission, transfer, and discharge of the patient
Other Job Functions
- Prepare patients and chaperone during examinations/procedures or assists with other patient treatments, such as superficial wound care, EKGs, starting IVs
- Maintain lab and all patient care areas with appropriate supplies
- Assist with patient restraints and maintain precautions; collect, report and document data related to patient needs/emergencies and unusual patient and family behavior
- Travel to all facility locations as required
- Attend staff meetings or other company sponsored or mandated meetings as required
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological/Physical Sciences or Medical Laboratory Science, required
- Minimum of 6 years core lab experience, required
- Certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist/Technologist (MLS/MLT) by the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent within one year after hire date
- Current BLS certification through the American Heart Association, required
- Experience with IV start, phlebotomy, and initiation of EKG, preferred
- Certification as an EMT and/or ER experience, preferred