Professional: Schools/Medical Staff
Implements a comprehensive program of health services for campus. Provides health services to students and promotes health education and preventative health practices for students.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN)
- Current State Board of Nurse Examiners Registration to practice in the state of Texas
- Certified by Texas Department of health to conduct vision and hearing screening
- CPR/AED Certification
- Experience as a School Nurse, preferred
- Community health experience, preferred
- Model behavior that is professional, ethical and responsible.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of health appraisal to identify student health defects
- Ability to provide direct care utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process and established school health protocols
- Ability to develop and implement individual health plans for medically fragile students
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to implement policies and procedures
- Three years nursing experience, preferably in school nursing and/or community health
BASIC DUTIES AND RESPONSILITIES:
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties and responsibilities noted herein, however, this list represents examples only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- Model core organizational beliefs and values; communicate openly and effectively within and across to maximize student success.
- Provide temporary and emergency care utilizing professional assessment skills, the nursing process, and established school health protocols; notify parents of accident or illness and secure medical care for students in emergency cases (if parents or emergency contact cannot be reached).
- Serve as health advocate for students; provide health counseling and instruction to individual student; make home visits to help with student health problems as necessary with permission of principal.
- Coordinate management system to administer medications to students at school; administered medications according to district policy and procedures.
- Establish and implement effective procedures for mandatory screening programs as required by Texas Department of Health, Texas Education Agency, and district policy; make referrals as necessary.
- Develop and coordinate continuing evaluation of campus health program and make changes based on findings.
- Provide health education to individuals and groups; educate faculty and staff as needed on health related topics.
- Serve as health liaison between school, physicians, parents, and community.
- Participate in Admission, Review, and Dismissal Committee; collaborate with other professionals regarding implementation of health-related Individual Education Plan (IEP) items.
- Participate in assessment and reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Communicate regularly with principal, health services coordinator, staff and parents regarding health services issues; report potential health and safety hazards to principal.
- Review and evaluate student immunization records.
- Supervise and train clinic health aide (s) and LVN (s) in clinic procedures and responsibilities according to district policy.
- Performs nursing services as needed for individual students such as administering medications, catheterizations, tracheostomy care, and diabetic care, etc. when ordered by the physician.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required; including clinic records and accurate, updated health records on all students.
- Requisition supplies and equipment needed to maintain clinic inventory.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state laws, Texas Department of Health rules, State Board of Education rules, and board policy; comply with all district and campus routines and regulations and verbal and written directives.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Utilize effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Establish and maintain professional communication with parents, students, and district personnel; ensure that all interactions are supportive, courteous, and respectful.
- Maintain certification in CPR, vision, hearing, scoliosis and acanthosis screening.
- Participate in professional development activities that align with district and campus goals.
- Comply with the Crowley ISD Employee Handbook.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate the performance of assigned staff. Staff will include health care aides and LVNs.
- Maintain emotional control under stress
- Exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases
- Moderate lifting and carrying required in working with special education students
- Travel between assigned schools.
Salary: Minimum Teacher Salary $56,590