The Medical Office Assistant performs various duties as a member of the health team in the treatment and care of patients and their families and also assists with tasks to support the unit. The position works under the supervision of an LPN/RN. The Medical Office Assistant must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of human growth and development over the life span, ability to recognize data reflective of the patient’s status and inform the Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse of observations.
- Participates and supports the health team in the direct patient care under the supervision of an RN/LPN
- Performs heights, weights, and head circumference measurement
- Performs electrocardiograms
- Assists with medical procedures as required, i.e. sigmoidoscopies, colposcopy, and biopsies
- Maintains Patient Charts/record/clinic logs and database as necessary
- Collects specimens
- Competence in auditory testing, visual testing, EKG, venipuncture and taking vitals.
- Keeps examination rooms neat and clean
- Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon time frames.
- Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies
- Ensures that all patients, visitors, and guests, as well as co-workers receive personalized, prompt attention and are treated with receptiveness, dignity and respect
- HS Diploma or GED required
- Formal training in a program leading to certification as a Medical Assistant
- Certificate from an accredited medical assistant school
- Minimum of 1 year experience
- Bi-lingual Spanish preferred
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated competence in auditory testing, visual testing, EKG, venipuncture and taking vitals
- Certification as a Phlebotomist or EKG technician preferred
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
- Current Infection Control and Child Abuse Certificates
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action:
The Institute for Family Health is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. This job summary is intended to be brief and may not list all the duties and functions required, however, it does highlight the essential requirements. Nothing outlined in this job summary is to be construed as an express or implied contract of employment.
Please visit www.Institute.org for more information.