SUMMARY: Provides clerical/administrative support in wards, clinics, or other departments of a medical treatment facility.
- A fully qualified typist with a minimum of 50 WPM is required.
- General medical ethics, telephone etiquette, and excellent communication and customer service skills.
- General office administrative and clerical skills to perform receptionist duties and answer telephones.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Education. High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalency. Medical terminology desired.
- Experience. At least 6 months of experience in office setting.
- Work Environment/Physical Requirements. The work is primarily sedentary. However, there may be some physical demands. Requirements include prolonged walking, standing, sitting or bending.
- Greets patients/visitors at a front desk, information center or office setting.
- Answers main office phone line. Directs telephone calls to appropriate section for assistance. Takes messages as required.
- Arranges and schedules medical appointments and determines patient eligibility for services . Determine patient eligibility, schedule appointments, relay general instructions to patients, or make referrals to other sections.
- Obtains updates and files medical records as needed.
- Organizes and researches patient records, extract needed information, and review records for completeness, accuracy, and consistency within established guidelines.
- Ensures arrival of medical records prior to appointment(s).
- Initiates and locates patient medical records as needed.
- Obtains documentation as requested by healthcare providers (test results, or documentation not yet filed in records).
- Performs other administrative and clerical duties in support of the medical care and operational support.
- Creates appointment schedules and templates in patient appointment computer system.
- Conducts end-of-day process at close of business and resolves any delinquent or pending appointments in computer system.