The Medical Records Technician (MRT) is an integral member of the multi-disciplinary team who functions under the direction and supervision of a Supervisor. The position provides professional, courteous, and friendly assistance to our customers. The MRT serves as a resource for internal and external customers by utilizing a number of resources such as established Cigna policies; protocols and guidelines to ensure delivery of quality care within the guidelines of Cigna Medical Group Standard Operating Procedures, Policies, and Procedures. Contributes to the organization’s drive to achieve “Triple Aim”: improved individual customer experience, improved health and quality of care, and reduced cost of care.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Researches and scans all loose sheet and documents appropriately in KPI spreadsheet.
- Answers telephone in compliance with departmental procedures.
- Communicates with all levels of health care clinicians (internal and external), attorneys, patients, and insurance companies regarding requests for information.
- Reviews requests for release of information and processes requests made by patients, attorneys, insurance companies and other health care clinicians. Ensures compliance with state statutes and internal policies and procedures prior to processing requests.
- Prioritizes daily work to include independent problem solving and decision making without daily supervision.
- Appropriately logs and routes incoming records to providers for review and inclusion into the EHR.
- Sorts and distributes mail on a daily basis.
- Demonstrates a positive customer service approach in all internal and external customer experiences.
- Improves the customer experience through the demonstration of Service and Courtesy Behaviors and focus on Patient Satisfaction.
- Demonstrates flexibility in assignments, assisting in other areas as needed; cross trains and assists in other departments as needed.
- NOTE: The above is not intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be and exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent’s immediate supervisor.
Complexity and Scope
Under minimal supervision, researches and scans loose sheet, handles phone calls, reviews and processes requests for release of information, appropriately documents Key Performance Indicators, daily mail distribution, appropriately processes incoming medical records for inclusion into the EHR. Provides exceptional customer service and maintains patient confidentiality. The MRT demonstrates skill in use of computers, possesses strong verbal and written communication skills, and behavior is professional at all times.
Interacts with all levels of staff in a variety of departments, clinicians, patients, families, as well as external contacts, such as attorneys, insurance companies, other healthcare providers and agencies.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Able to stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently.
- Requires fine motor skills, adequate eye hand coordination, and ability to grasp and handle objects.
- May be required to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Needs to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone.
- Use of computers will be required.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- One year customer service and PC skills required.
- One year customer service in health care, cash handling, typing, scheduling application experience preferred.
- Ability to convey information to customers in a warm, clear, concise manner.
- Demonstrates positive customer service behaviors.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require an accommodation based on your physical or mental disability please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.