Title: Medical Technician
Department: Primary Care
Reports To: Nurse Manager
Location: 2412 Church Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11226
Position Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Tuesday - Friday 1PM - 9PM, Saturday 9AM - 5PM
The Medical Technician is a member of the clinic staff and is responsible for assisting nursing and medical provider staffs with a prescribed set of duties in the provision of patient care. This position also performs clerical duties, acts as receptionist, maintains medical records and communicates with all disciplines.
- Demonstrates initiative and enthusiasm in assisting and taking direction from other health care providers in the delivery of care
- Accurately performs and records vital assessments, to include but not limited to, vital signs, weight and height, point of service blood glucose testing and promptly reports abnormalities to the medical provider or RN on duty
- Utilizes appropriate techniques when collecting routine urine specimens and specimens for C/S
- Appropriately instructs patients on clean catch specimens
- Utilizes appropriate technique in performing venipuncture to obtain blood specimens in accordance with agency procedure
- Verbalizes knowledge of and adherence to OSHA standards for blood- borne pathogens when handling blood and body fluids
- Maintains universal precautions in the provision of patient care
- Maintains and monitors stock inventory in the treatment center and replenishes supplies in exam rooms on a timely basis
- Prepares and processes requisitions for routine supplies in accordance with agency procedures
- Monitors the integrity of equipment and promptly reports malfunction, missing or damaged equipment to the nurse manager
- Demonstrates competency in answering phones, assembling charts, patient registration, making appointments, computer data entry and retrieval of computer reports
- Copies, prepares records, and stores and maintains appropriate records
- Keeps records of all laboratory work sent, files laboratory reports on client record, and prepares and processes Lab/Diagnostic requisitions
- Conforms to policies and regulations governing patient rights and confidentiality of information
The above is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all the job functions.
High School Diploma or GED. Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program/ BLS Certified. National Certification as a Certified or Registered Medical Assistant required. Experience in ambulatory care setting and some knowledge of medical terminology required. Clerical and basic computer skills required. Ability to lift up to 20 lbs and stand for long periods of time. Fluency in written and spoken English.