Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system, UChicago Medicine, as a Medical Technologist in the Clinical Chemistry Lab. In this role as a Medical Technologist you will perform Chemistry lab tests, operate state-of-the-art instruments, and conduct esoteric tests with current technology. Medical Technologist provides 24/7 coverage of 100+ tests required to support ED/trauma, OR, critical care, and oncology. Operating within UChicago Medicine's Department of Pathology, we provide reference laboratory testing to various related and unrelated health care entities, managed care organizations and non-affiliated hospitals, outpatient clinics and private physicians' offices. We offer a full range of diagnostic services.
*Sign-on Bonus Available*
Routinely performs a wide range of clinical analyses in all sections of the laboratory by properly utilizing a variety of methodologies and instrumentation according to laboratory policies and procedures and in accordance with all regulatory agency requirements in order to provide results of the highest level of quality to physicians and their patients. Primary responsibilities include culture and susceptibility testing, specimen processing, and rapid testing to support infectious disease and immunology testing.
Essential Job Functions
- Receives specimens submitted to laboratory. Utilizes policies and procedures for requisition and specimen requirements to determine whether the submitted specimen can be processes for analysis. Assures proper storage and procedures for specimens that cannot be immediately analyzed.
- Conducts preliminary specimen preparations for the analytical process through centrifugation of blood specimens, aliquotting of blood and body fluids and distribution of the prepared specimens to the appropriate sections of the laboratory.
- Answers inquiries regarding specimen handling, results and other technical information. Appropriately assists clinicians with requests and seeks out resources necessary when information is not available to answer questions.
- Performs all procedures designated under CLIA’88 rules as moderate or highly complex testing; knows all responsibilities as outlined in the laboratory procedure manual necessary to perform these procedures with highest level of quality within turnaround time goals set by the laboratory.
- Practices the proficient and safe use of all equipment necessary for the completion of all duties and responsibilities by following all maintenance, safety and quality controls policies and procedures.
- Prepares and maintains adequate stock of reagents, standards, and control materials for the performance of testing at assigned workstation and notifies supervisor of any shortages or problems.
- Analyzes all test and quality control results for errors, inconsistencies and deviations prior to reporting results. Initiates and documents troubleshooting and problem solving to resolve issues.
- Reports all test results in the laboratory information system according to laboratory policies and procedures, within stated turn-around times, and follows appropriate backup procedures during computer downtimes.
- Communicates any pertinent information or problems with laboratory staff and supervisors in a respectful and proactive manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must satisfy CLIA ‘88 qualification requirements for testing personnel performing high complexity testing.
- Bachelor’s degree in clinical laboratory science or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge and ability to use automated and conventional laboratory equipment and laboratory testing methodologies.
- Knowledge and ability to use laboratory/hospitals information systems.
- Exceptional organizational ability, with attention to detail mandatory.
- Ability to work in high volume, stressful situations.
- At least one year of pertinent laboratory experience and previous Chemistry experience preferred.
- Certification or eligibility as medical technologist (MT) through American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or equivalent preferred.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-Time
- Shift: Days
- Unit/Department: Clinical Chemistry
- CBA code: Non-Union
Why Join Us
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.