Hennepin Healthcare is an integrated system of care that includes HCMC, a nationally recognized Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center and acute care hospital. The comprehensive healthcare system includes a 484 bed academic medical center, a large outpatient Clinic & Specialty Center, and a network of primary and specialty care clinics in Minneapolis and in suburban communities. Hennepin Healthcare has a large psychiatric program, home care and hospice, and operates a research institute, innovation center and philanthropic foundation.
We are currently seeking a Medical Technologist to join our Microbiology team. This full time role will work evenings (Monday to Friday) with occasional weekend coverage.
Under general supervision, performs clinical laboratory testing of moderate to highly complex testing. Uses automated equipment and specialized processes for testing, accurately interpreting the results and able to identify abnormal results of specimens submitted to the laboratory
- Follows all laboratory established procedures and processes, including but not limited to patient identification, specimen collection, diagnostic clinical testing, and documentation and data entry into the laboratory information system and /or patient result logs
- Based on training and protocol recognize, document, and communicate unusual and/or critical result values
- Must be competent in 5 work stations or work areas as defined by their section
- Performs and monitors quality control processes, establish and monitor quality assurance and record keeping systems, participates in quality improvement programs, according the standard operating procedures to assure accuracy and validity of test results
- Performs calibration, maintenance, and performance checks on instrumentation according to standard operating procedures and participates in the preparation and evaluation of maintenance schedules and operating procedures for new instrumentation, including writing technical procedures according to regulatory protocol
- Performs troubleshooting processes for instrumentation, reagents, and inventory and/or patient samples as they occur and evaluates methods for solutions
- Takes a leadership role by acting as charge tech when assigned, assisting in the training/teaching of new staff members and /or student interns
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or Medical Laboratory Science
- Completion of a CLS/MLS/MT training program approved by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS),
- An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- One year experience
Knowledge/ Skills/ Abilities:
- Customer service skills
- Current certification as a Medical Technologist MT(ASCP), Clinical Laboratory Scientist CLS(NCA), or Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS (ASCP) or Technologist in Microbiology M (ASCP)
- Eligible for certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist MLS (ASCP)
- As a condition of employment, those hired “as eligible” must take the first available examination after their date of hire and pass one of these certifying exams within three consecutive administrations of the exam within a 12 month period
You've made the right choice in considering Hennepin Healthcare for your employment. We offer a wealth of opportunities for individuals who want to make an impact in our patients' lives. We are dedicated to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to both current and prospective employees. We are driven to connect talented individuals with life-changing career opportunities, enabling you to provide exceptional care without exception. Thank you for considering Hennepin Healthcare as a future employer.
Please Note: Offers of employment from Hennepin Healthcare are conditional and contingent upon successful clearance of all background checks and pre-employment requirements.