MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR
|Company:||BSCHS MEDICAL GROUP PC|
|Location:||West Nyack, NY|
|Department:||ADMIN - ORANGE COUNTY|
The Mental Health Counselor is responsible for conducting clinical assessments and evaluations and delivering treatment services in individual and group formats consistent with the scope of practice of the incumbent. Treatment and therapy will be provided based upon the treatment plan developed by the multidisciplinary treatment team (PCP/LMHC/collaborating psychiatrist). This individual will work in partnership with the adult primary care practice. Role to include but not limited to, enhance screening, treatment and engagement within this population. The Mental Health Counselor will be a key member of the treatment team and its process.
· Evaluates patients for symptoms of mental disorders and behavioral problems, including mental status examination and psychosocial history and develop multi axial diagnoses
· Delivers recovery oriented psychosocial rehabilitation to individuals and groups.
· Provides clinical support and backup to other clinical staff as needed.
· Serves as a primary therapist to assigned patients.
· Participates in multidisciplinary team processes, including individualized treatment planning, case reviews, behavioral reviews and discharge planning.
· Works with patients and their families/caregivers in making psychiatric treatment plans effective and consults with community resources involved in patient's treatment plan.
· Leadership role in primary care staff training, case conferences, case presentations and training activities.
· Educates primary care team on behavioral health and substance use screening tools.
· Documents screenings, evaluation and treatment activity, in connect care
· Provide training and consultation to treatment and direct care staff on therapeutic and milieu methods and procedures.
· Prepares patient records, required treatment records, and maintains required documentation of work activities.
· Administrative duties as a member of the treatment team including discipline specific reports, attending staff meetings and providing technical assistance. Review and sign off on charting and documentation made by unlicensed direct care staff.
· Consults with collaborating psychiatrist (WCMC) as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
3-5 years experience preferred in behavioral health services.
Licenses / Certifications:
Licensed in New York as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) "R" credential preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Knowledge of crisis intervention principles and practices, case management practices, ability to provide individual, group and family therapy.
Knowledge of Risk and Suicide Assessment instruments as well as those used for Depression, Substance Abuse and development of Safety Plans.
Knowledge of medical and pharmacology terminology.
Competency in electronic medical records desirable.
Ability to establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with patients, coworkers, supervisors, physicians and work in a treatment team environment.