Here at Wellpath, everything that we do is about taking care of people our patients, our staff and our partners. We are committed to making a difference by providing hope and healing to vulnerable patients in challenging clinical environments. Our talented, compassionate team thrives in an autonomous environment, is empowered and supported by education, training and the resources to practice healthcare the way it is meant to be and strives to Always Do The Right Thing!
Our Mental Health Director provides clinical and administrative oversight for the Mental Health program and the Mental Health staff within the facility as well as consultation regarding the mental health program. Provides clinical supervision and direction to Mental Health Professionals. Provides mental health services consistent with expectations of professional training and experience (e.g. Psychologist).
- Doctorate in clinical or counseling psychology from an accredited college or university
- Experience in the coordination and administration of mental health service delivery systems
- Significant coursework and professional experience in the mental health field that indicates knowledge of management and supervision techniques, peer review, quality assurance, group and individual psychotherapy, diagnosis and treatment of psychological disorders, and psychological evaluation techniques.
- Licensed to practice psychology in the State by the appropriate state licensing board
- Current CPR Certification
- Any other certifications (such as First Aid) required by contract
- Responsible to plan, manage, supervise, and coordinate the clinical services of mental health staff at the institutional level as directed by the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services
- Responsible for the clinical supervision and direction, professional education, and staff development of mental health professionals at the facility
- Responsible to provide clinical and consultation services in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Facility, and the standards of the American Psychological Association, as well as National Commission on Correctional Health Care and American Correctional Association accreditation standards if NCCHC and ACA standards are applicable to facility
- Responsible to perform direct clinical services at the level expected for a licensed doctoral level psychologist
- Responsible for oversight and direction of any training provided by mental health staff to other facility staff
- Responsible to assign specific duties and clinical responsibilities to mental health staff in accordance with their position descriptions, education and professional experience and to notify the Regional Mental Health Director or the Corporate Director of Mental Health Services and the site Health Services Administrator of staff's inability to perform such duties and responsibilities in a competent, ethical and professional manner
- Responsible to perform management and administrative functions under the direction of the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services and the Health Services Administrator
- Responsible to represent interests of mental health services with the institution's administrative staff under the direction of the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services and to facilitate cooperation in the delivery of mental health services
- Responsible to maintain the confidentiality of patient information in accordance with The Company Policy and Procedure, facility policy and procedure, the standards of the American Psychological Association, the National Commission on Correctional Health Care and the American Correctional Association, if NCCHC and ACA standards apply to the facility
- Allocation of staff resources in mental health services to insure that institutional needs for clinical and consultative services are met in a timely, professional manner
- Provision of overall clinical supervision and direction to mental health professionals to ensure compliance with The Company health care policies and procedures, adherence to relevant ethical and professional standards of care, and compliance with the responsibilities/duties of specific staff position descriptions as well as facility policy and procedures. Clinical supervision needs may be met through individual and small group supervision, consultation, case presentations, or other forms of peer supervision. Notifies Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services and Health Services Administrator of staff's inability to perform duties and responsibilities in a competent, ethical, and professional manner
- Maintenance of open communication with institutional administrative, security, medical and support staff to facilitate operation of mental health services and resolution of problem situations
- Provision of staff disciplinary counseling and performance evaluations including appropriate documentation in a timely, professional manner under the direction of the Health Services Administrator, as well as the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services if needed
- Direct and supervise all mental health treatment planning for patients. Review, as needed, patient individual treatment plans developed by mental health services staff. Coordinate mental health treatment planning with other treatment programs in the facility
- Provide clinical direction and oversight of Activity Therapy program if a program is required. Provide clinical direction to the activity therapy staff
- Provide oversight of mental health services staff's clinical documentation in the health record. Oversight includes periodic chart reviews and in-service to staff on aspects of documentation of mental health care
- Provide in-service opportunities to mental health services staff, ensure compliance with The Company and facility in-service requirements and maintain documentation of material presented and staff attendance
- Provision of staff meetings as needed, but at least twice monthly, to facilitate dissemination of information and discuss staff concerns
- In consultation with the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services, develop and implement goals and objectives for clinical services provided. Assist in development and refinement of policies and procedures to ensure that these meet not only recognized standards, but also the institution's General Orders
- Carry out staff selection and recruitment in cooperation with the Health Services Administrator
- Provide direct clinical services duties as outlined in the position description of Psychologist as needed to meet institutional mental health service requirements. These duties may include individual and group psychotherapy, psychological testing, training, and crisis intervention
- In conjunction with the site Psychiatrist, provide clinical oversight of crisis intervention services. Immediately notify the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services of any instances of serious suicide attempts, completed suicides, use of therapeutic restraints, or use of forced medications. Review any inadequacies with crisis intervention services and implement corrective steps as needed
- Provide timely notification to the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services of clinical concerns which may impact an individual patient or the mental health services program
- Provide documentation of clinical services to the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services as requested
- Supervise clerical support staff assigned to mental health department to ensure relevant paperwork and departmental files are maintained appropriately
- Responsible for coordinating with the Health Services Administrator the ordering of supplies for the mental health department and ensures inventory is at an appropriate level
- As required by contract, develops a system that provides for on-call mental health consultation services for institution staff working with patients who require assistance with immediate crisis intervention. Responsible for providing clinical consultation to staff, providing crisis intervention and for informing the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services of serious incidents involving crisis intervention issues
- On-site coordination of psychiatric services by provision of administrative support and patient monitoring
- As provided by Policy and Procedure and as directed by the Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services, review transfers to Facility for appropriateness and clinical necessity and informs Regional Mental Health Director or Corporate Director of Mental Health Services of potential transfer candidates to other correctional mental health facilities or community mental health facilities
- Review Clinical Service Reports prepared by mental health staff in response to approved requests from institutional staff, State Parole Boards, and other appropriate agencies. Ensure reports are completed in a timely, professional manner, that they include the administration and interpretation of psychological assessment techniques when appropriate, and that such assessments are within the scope of staff members education and professional experience
- Comply with employee standards of the Facility. Compliance includes, but is not limited to, the maintenance of a working environment and personal appearance consistent with professional responsibilities, development of harmonious working relationships, and timely notification of supervisory personnel of absences from institution
- May be required to arrange and/or participate in a system of 24-hour crisis intervention services. Immediately notify the The Company Supervisor of any instances of suicide attempts, completed suicides, use of therapeutic restraints, or use of forced medications. Review any inadequacies with crisis intervention services and implement corrective steps as needed.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of instructions and apply knowledge to different factual situations.
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous basis.
- Post orders, if applicable, per site contract.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Company is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer