St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.The Mental Health Technician works under the supervision of the professional licensed nurse, performing clinical, as well as clerical functions within the behavioral inpatient service.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accurately obtains and records patient vital signs and intake & output. Performs glucometry and phlebotomy skills with competence and collects other specimens for diagnostic tests.
- Monitors the therapeutic environment by performing safety checks and monitors patient status by performing patient observations continuously.
- Demonstrates skill as a member of the Control Team, in responding to agitation/violent behavior of individuals requiring verbal de-escalation and/or physical restraint.
- Demonstrates competence in caring for the agitated/violent patient, who may require treatment with seclusion/restraints.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining a clean and orderly environment.
- Facilitates patient recreational and therapeutic activities under the direction of the professional licensed staff.
- Demonstrates competency in the assessment, range of treatment, knowledge of growth and development and communication appropriate to the age of the patient treated.
- Demonstrates proper chain of command for work related issues.
- Maintains clinical records of all patient contact according to hospital policy and other regulatory guidelines (i.e., Department of Health, Department of Public Welfare, and the Joint Commission). Documents patient information thoroughly, reflecting consideration of treatment plan).
- Organizes work time to respond to established priorities. Uses time effectively and productively during periods of low department activity.
- Completes Departmental Orientation Checklist within 90 days of employment and completes all identified competencies for job description on an annual basis.
- Attends department staff meetings a minimum of 50% of the time and trainings relevant to position. Participates in activities which promote personal/professional development. Serves on assigned hospital and/or unit based councils.
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Must have ability to sit for 2 total hours per day, and up to 1 total consecutive hour. Must be able to stand for 8 total hours per day and up to 2 total consecutive hours. Must be able to walk 6 total hours per day and up to 10 total consecutive minutes. Must have the ability to frequently use fingers/hands for fingering and handling. Must have the ability to use upper extremities for frequent pushing of 3 objects up to 10 pounds and occasional pushing of objects up to 75 lbs. Must have the ability to transport patients weighing up to 250 lbs. via wheelchair, stretcher and/or bed. Must have the ability for frequent stooping and bending. Must have the ability for frequent reaching above shoulder level. Must have the ability for touching as it relates to feeling objects by touching with the skin, particularly that of fingertips. Must have the ability for hearing as it relates to normal conversation, high frequency and low frequency hearing sounds. Must have the ability for seeing as it relates to general vision, near vision, color vision and peripheral vision.
High School Graduate/GED required. BA/BS in human services field, or current student in BA/BS/Nursing School preferred.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Two years previous experience in mental health or medical setting preferred. Nurse or medical aide experience preferred. CPR certification required within 60 days of hire.
Part time days (6:45a-3:15p), as scheduled. 16 hours per week. Every other weekend and holiday rotation required. Shift rotation may be required to meet staffing needs.
Please complete your application using your full legal name and current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications and licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!