1. Performs a variety of duties directly related to patient care:
·Initiates and encourages interactions with patients through conversation, activities, and other means. Encourages a therapeutic relationship with patients.
·Helps patient get accustomed to the unit and hospital. Provides factual information regarding treatment program.
· Assists and guides patients with maintaining their personal hygiene and housekeeping activities.
· Assists and oversees patients at meal times.
· Escorts patients to appointments and scheduled activities outside of the unit - within and outside hospital.
· Assists during admissions, discharges and/or transfers of patients.
· Assists RN in carrying out treatment procedures including, but not limited to restraining patient, vital signs and other directed tasks.
· Responds to medical and psychiatric emergencies with direction from RN. Administers Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), when necessary.
· Observes patient, as directed.
· Assumes responsibility for whereabouts and safety of patients in and outside of the unit and/or grounds, as directed.
· Co-leads group therapy and leads patient education and activity groups, as required.
- Reporting observations of patients' behavior to RN and other team members.
- Maintaining observation flow sheets for patient requiring various levels of supervision, i.e. constant observation, routine rounds, every fifteen minute checks.
- Participating in nursing staff and team meetings by sharing observations and information.
- Receiving and/or transmitting telephone messages concerning patient care in absence of Unit Receptionist.
- Reporting observations of patients' interactions with visitors
- Reporting potential hazards to RN and taking necessary measures such as mopping wet areas, removing hazardous material or other remedial action in the event of an emergency.
- Transporting supplies such as laboratory specimens, food trays, drug baskets and other items to and from unit, as required.
- Collecting soiled linen and distributing fresh linen to patients unable to do so themselves.
- Maintaining general sanitary conditions on unit including washing the patient's refrigerator and stove when necessary.