Do you want to make a difference? Do you want to grow your career at one of the industry’s leading construction firms? Put your expertise and mechanical skills to work at Austin Commercial. Austin Commercial is currently seeking an MEP Project Manager for projects in the Houston, TX area. We set the standard for commercial construction and we’re looking for talented construction professionals to join us. Austin is 100% employee-owned, so every one of our employee-owners has a vested interest in our success. As a result, we consistently meet and exceed our customers’ expectations with our commitment to safety, service, and integrity. Join us today. We Own It!
The MEP Project Manager assists in the overall direction and control of the installation of all electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sheet metal, insulation, sprinkler systems, and life safety systems within Austin Commercial projects.
Functional Areas of Responsibility
- MEP trade coordination / space management / constructability studies
- Certificate of occupancy management
- Review of subcontractor submittals
- Compliance with building codes
- Relations with city inspectors
- Review of subcontractor proposed change pricing
- Kitchen, computer room, health final inspections
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates the complexity of the mechanical/electrical design and estimates both the construction costs and maintenance. Ensures the constructability of the design and compatibility with local building codes.
- Serves as a technical resource in meetings with owners and architects. Discusses the mechanical/electrical systems within the building in technical terms, explaining fully any anticipated difficulties with the plans.
- Attends weekly meetings with owners, architects, and subcontractors. Outlines work to be performed by the mechanical and electrical subcontractors, phasing of work, problems encountered in scheduling, quality of work, etc. May hold separate meetings with mechanical/electrical contractors as necessary.
- Ensures that the subcontractors submit all mechanical/electrical shop drawings in a timely manner. Examines all shop drawings for completeness. Responsible for on-time delivery of equipment.
- Responsible for the complete coordination of MEP scope. Utilizes overlay system or CAD system to prevent potential space requirement problems. Coordinates shop drawings between subcontractors.
- Mechanical and Plumbing – Checks all shop drawings for routing, dimensions of toilet rooms, etc. Checks all mechanical, plumbing and piping as it is being installed. Responsible for QA/QC of mechanical systems. Ensures that mechanical rough-ins are installed in a timely manner.
- Electrical – Checks shop drawings for rough-ins in slabs, main switchgear layout, riser diagrams, placement of emergency generator equipment, etc. Performs detailed inspections of work in progress to ensure quality of installation, timely installation of rough-ins and compliance of the system. Meets regularly with city electrical inspectors and inspects work in progress. Responsible for on-time delivery of equipment.
- Fire Sprinkler System – Establishes contact early with city fire department inspectors; inviting them to inspect work in progress. Reviews all shop drawings and ensures their adequacy and completeness to meet local codes. Coordinates tamper and flow switches with the fire alarm system. Inspects all work in progress for quality and completeness.
- Life Safety Systems – Inspects and coordinates the installation of all life safety systems, smoke evacuation systems, pressurized portions of the building, fire control centers, building and elevator distress communication systems, fire extinguishers, etc. Manages certificate of occupancy requirements for these systems.
- Reviews all pay requests from subcontractors and ensures that they are proper and timely. Resolves any problems encountered in payments to subcontractors.
- Acts as a liaison between owners, architects, general contractors and all associated disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- 5+ years’ of comparable MEP experience is required with a GC or mechanical contractor.
We offer excellent benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance and a matching 401K plan and we are proud to be a 100% Employee Owned Company. To learn more about Austin’s Employee-Ownership history, please go to www.austin-ind.com/core-values.html.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Austin ("The Company") is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company's policy prohibits discrimination against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age (40 and over), disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also the Company's policy to comply with all federal, state and local laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
No Agency Inquiries Please
Austin Industries and all operating divisions (Austin Bridge & Road, Austin Commercial, and Austin Industrial) do not accept unsolicited resumes, candidates’ names or summaries from staffing agencies, search firms, or third-party recruiters. Any unsolicited resumes submitted to Austin Industries, or any of its employee-owners, becomes the property of Austin Industries and Austin Industries will not pay a placement fee.
About Austin Commercial
Become an owner of one of North America's most respected and fastest growing commercial construction firms! Austin Commercial’s employee-owners put our expertise to work in regional and national operations, building iconic projects that set the bar in our industry. Whether world-class airports and aviation facilities, technologically advanced healthcare facilities, cutting-edge educational and research facilities, professional sports stadiums, high-rises, hospitality, and other leading commercial markets, Austin’s industry expertise and ingenuity are second to none. Become an employee-owner today, grow your career, and put your skills to work at Austin Commercial. We Own It!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)See job description