Emery Jensen Distribution is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ace Hardware Corporation that distributes hardline products to the independent Pro Lumber, Paint, Hardware, Grocery, and E-retailer customer segments.
Our team is currently looking for a Merchandising Director to work in our Oak Brook, IL office. The Merchandising Director is responsible for understanding the product, pricing and promotional priorities of independent retailers across the Pro Lumber, Pro Paint, Independent Hardware and eCommerce channels, in order to create and drive merchandising strategies that maximize sales and margin for Emery Jensen. The Merchandising Director establishes merchandising budgets and builds strategies to grow market share and optimally leverage Emery Jensen’s skill and scale. The Merchandising Director establishes and leads execution of all pricing, promotions, retail strategy and merchandising initiatives while driving alignment with sales leadership and the field sales organizations. Additionally, the Merchandising Director drives collaboration between the Emery Jensen and Ace's merchandising and purchasing teams to ensure the right vendors, brands, assortments, order multiples and inventory levels are made available for our wholesale customers. All strategies and initiatives are coordinated to meet customer needs, sales goals and Emery Jensen financial objectives.
Principle Activities Include:
Strategy and Initiative Planning
• Interpret Emery Jensen corporate strategies to align with departmental strategic direction as it relates to merchandising and marketing direction for the wholesale channel.
• Leads strategic planning process to grow respective categories in terms of sales and margin as well as common strategies around shared initiatives to drive improvement for the company.
• Oversees all category metrics including sales plan, gross margin and wholesale service level. Owns achieving metrics and managing Category Manager team in achievement to these goals.
• Develops and presents 3-year strategies to the leadership team with departmental alignment and executes to the plan.
• Leads customer insights to inform initiative development and execution requiring cross-functional and Enterprise support.
Team and Cross-functional Leadership
• Participate in overall leadership of Emery Jensen merchandising team, assisting in setting annual goals, growth plans and execution via alignment with sales, marketing, finance, operations, Enterprise supply chain and Enterprise merchandising.
• Administer platforms to support process change/improvement and streamline organizational, system inefficiencies.
• Demonstrate leadership across the organization and enterprise via strong cross-functional relationships with key business partners and teams.
Team Building and Development
• Responsible for attracting, developing and retaining best in class talent for the Emery Jensen merchandising team. Facilitate and engage teams with leadership and business skills training, mentor future leaders and continually coach for excellence.
• Communicating roles and responsibilities, establishing goals, prioritizing workload, conducting talent reviews and supporting development.
• Achieve yearly financial plans through oversight of strategic marketing and sales planning, promotional strategy, wholesale and retail pricing strategies, value added services and increased customer program adoption.
• Manage financial metric planning and grow overall sales and gross margin.
• Champion collection and analysis of Wholesale customer data and insights in preparation for the Reviews.
• Drive Wholesale customer priorities and sales objectives through Enterprise category review process.
• Develop strategies to effectively implement and maximize outcomes of Category Reviews across the four Wholesale Channels.
• Build Sales goals around implementation and drive alignment with Sales Leadership to achieve these goals.
• Provide oversight and mentoring to Category Managers through the review and implementation process.
• Oversee team planning and execution of all vendor show programs including Power Buys, Pallet Buys, Breakfast Buys, and merchant initiative areas.
• Lead customer and sales updates for team including meetings, sales and customer engagement at the show.
Sales and Customer Relationships and Communication
• Attends sales meetings and store visits to build trust and rapport with the field sales team and key stores. Reviews alignment and opportunities in respective categories.
• Trains sales organization on new initiatives and participates in building sales processes around critical initiatives.
• Oversees team execution within all sales and customer touchpoints, including Emery Jensen Portal, Advantage Resource, Emery Jensen Playbook and sales meetings to communicate new programs, changes or updates.
Experience and Technical Requirements
- 10+ years of business experience
- 5+ years managing product categories
- Strong strategic thinking and leadership skills. A track record of leading and directing teams is critical.
- Excellent problem-solving skills required
- Excellent interpersonal skills required
- Strong financial and business acumen
- Demonstrate strong decision-making skills
- Highly creative, flexible and adaptable with good follow-through
- Proven ability to multi-task projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Power Point
- Ability to travel 25%
Emery Jensen Distribution is the result of 2 companies, Emery Waterhouse of the East Coast and Jensen Distribution of the West Coast, merging together to form a wholesale distributor selling to independent retailers nationally. With over 300 years of collective experience in the hardlines industry, and over $5.5 billion in buying power, Emery Jensen Distribution offers a sustainable advantage in the market. Emery Jensen is driven by the biggest selection of products, the best prices and best team in hardlines distribution. Our combination of national reach, channel expertise, and local touch allows us to deliver the highest level of customer service with the right supply chain which provides our customer the highest in-stock position and increased profitability.
We want to hear from you!
Emery Jensen Distribution delivers wholesale products and best-in-class service to independent retailers in the Pro Lumber, Paint, Hardware, Grocery, and E-retailer space. Our goal is to support sustainable and profitable growth for our customers by offering the broadest assortments, best pricing, and most knowledgeable team. We have national scale, a regional focus and the commitment to serve our customers and support each other. Come find out why a career with Emery Jensen Distribution is right for you.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emery Jensen Distribution, a subsidiary of Ace Hardware, is committed to a policy of promoting equal employment opportunities. The company recognizes the importance of diversity and leveraging the skills and talents of all people to the mutual advantage of each individual and the organization. The company is committed to the prevention of employment discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex (including sexual harassment), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability and military or veteran status, sexual orientation or any other action covered by federal or applicable state/local laws.