The Metallurgist will devise or revise metallurgical practices as necessary and investigate effects of implemented changes. The candidate will enhance continuous improvement efforts and enact necessary changes.
Specific Key accountabilities
- Troubleshooting electro-magnetic casting (EMC) and direct chill (DC) casting issues, development of casting practices and cast practice maintenance.
- Process Optimization of Molten Metal Processes.
- Develop, implement and revise process controls and operating procedures.
- Utilizing extensive process data systems to monitor and improve cast shop processes
- Plan and conduct tests to evaluate process changes, statistically analyze the data and report the results.
- Provide disposition of nonconforming material.
- Plan trials, conduct trials and analyze data to evaluate processing options, and assess quality problems.
- Identify corrective actions to improve safety, improve recovery, reduce customer rejects and increase product.
- Work on special project teams to improve safety, reduce scrap, improve recovery and increase productivity.
Leadership competencies, technical skills requirement
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Materials, Metallurgy, or Metallurgical Engineering.
- Certification as an ASQ-CQE, CQA, or six-sigma preferred
- Must be able to write technical reports.
- Must be able to transfer technical information into layman’s terms for complete communication.
- Must have ability to write technically oriented reports that are understood by the general public.
- Ability to work with a broad cross section of people from top managers, hourly work force and internal and external customers.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and establish appropriate priority.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient with Microsoft Office software e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong problem solving, judgment, and critical thinking skills
- Aptitude for detailed work requiring a high degree of accuracy
- Good communication, high level of autonomy, collaboration and interpersonal skills are equally important
- Perform, understand and communicate detailed information analysis and evaluation, and have a good track record working effectively within a team-based environment
- Language fluency in English. French or German would be a plus