Element has an opportunity for a Metallurgist to safely and accurately perform metallurgical sample preparation, evaluations, and reporting. This position performs scheduled tasks under the direction of Manager, Metallurgical Laboratories and independently follows approved work procedures.
- Performs material evaluations requiring Metallography and Metallurgical Interpretation
- Prepares test specimens, sets up and adjusts sample prep equipment, and records / reports test data
- Provides support on Failure Analyses as required
- Provides guidance and training to others on the metallurgical team, as required
- Works with other staff to meet work and testing obligations to satisfy customer needs
- Maintains & calibrates relevant equipment, tools, & machinery to ensure good working condition
- Assists Lab Manager with production, quality, and process improvements
- Ensures all work is performed in accordance with company safety & quality procedures, customer purchase orders, specifications, and in accordance with regulatory agencies’ mandates
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Lab Manager
- Bachelor of Science degree in Metallurgy or Material Science
- A minimum of 3 years Metallurgical testing experience required.
- Metallurgical Sample Preparation in accordance with ASTM E3
- Etching of Metals (e.g. ASTM E407)
- Metallography & Microstructural Examination and Documentation
- Macro-Etching, Evaluation, Interpretation, and Documentation
- Digital Macro Photography & Micro Photomicroscopy
- Microhardness Testing (e.g. ASTM E384)
- Hardness Testing (e.g. ASTM E10 & E18)
NOTE: This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), or U.S. Government export authorization is required. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the employer obtaining the necessary export authorization, including, if required, an export license from the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security, the U.S. Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, or other applicable government agency.
We are Element, one of the fastest growing testing, inspection, certification and calibration business in the world.
We deliver critical services in Materials Testing, Product Qualification Testing, Certification, Device Calibration and Advisory Services to the Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Industrials, Fire and Building product, Infrastructure and other leading sectors, where failure in service is simply not an option.
Everything we do helps our customers to build better products; get their products to market on time; save them time and money; and minimize the risk associated with product development and production.
Our mission is simple: to be the best testing partner in the world and together we strive towards a common vision of becoming the world’s most trusted testing partner.
We have four values that we strive to live by every single day.
- Safety - We keep our colleagues and visitors safe
- Integrity - We act honestly and fairly to do the right thing
- Excellence - We set new standards of excellence in everything we do
- Partnership - We work together for the benefit of our customers
When combined with our mission and vision, the ethos this creates, enables Element to deliver one thing. CERTAINTY. We exist to help make certain that the materials and products we test, inspect, certify and calibrate for our customers are safe, quality, compliant and fit for purpose.
At Element, we always take pride in putting our people first. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognizes diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our Vision of becoming “the world’s most trusted testing partner”.
All suitably qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective work related criteria and without regard for the following: race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, and/or protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the applicable governing laws.