We are AAM. We have the POWER to move the world.
At AAM, we're looking for associates who push boundaries and drive solutions for the future. Innovators. Thinkers. Dreamers. Doers. No matter the role or function, every associate is a piece of what makes AAM great. We’re growing and building #TeamAAM to be the best. Join us!
Job Posting TitlePlant Metallurgist
Job Description SummaryThis individual will be responsible for the metallurgy & quality of products in our operations. Candidates must be hands-on working with the frontline workforce to improve quality of castings.
- Provide manufacturing support for all metallurgical/quality issues in areas of melting, casting, and annealing.
- Ensure that all metallurgical & quality activities are in alignment with corporate standards and/or customer requirements.
- Act as a liaison with corporate metallurgical resources and serve customers at a technical level.
- Develop the melting & heat treat schedules.
- Review the heat treating, melt log processes to document findings and initiate appropriate corrective actions.
- Reviews metallurgical requirements for orders & quotes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Metallurgy and Sand Lab
- Oversee operation of the lab and nodularity checkers day to day
- Ordering required material for the lab based upon current inventory
- Signing off on timecards for the employees
- Fixing/sending out equipment when there are issues
- Confirm tensile bars are pulled correct and meet specification based upon metal code
- Confirm incoming steel/furnaces samples/ and final chemistry samples
- Supervise and enforce the cleaning and 5s in the lab
- Maintain the calibration of the spectrometers, LECO, tensile tester, and Brinell machine and all of the sand lab equipment
- Confirm that sand samples are taken and tested properly
- Confirm the excel file/sand charts are being updated daily
- Learn the sand system and how it works
- Ensure that all requirements of IATF16949:2016 & ISO9001:2015 are met in the labs and assist with production where necessary
- Audit the process to ensure it is being followed
- Perform safety audits
- Create visual work instructions for the process
- Participate is Kaizen events for continuous improvement
- Complete reports based upon either customer or internal issues
- Work to complete different research projects based upon audits/customer issues/warranty claims
- Complete continuous improvement projects to save the company money or quality/safety/production
- Work to create new alloys based upon customer requirements
- Work with Melt to change charge make ups for chemistry or feasibility based upon lab results
- Bring in new material that will reduce cost and increase efficiency
Required Skills and Education
- 4 year science degree from an accredited college or university - preferably in Metallurgy or Material Science.
- 5+ years metallurgical experience.
- Understand foundry processes and materials.
- Experience working in Casting is a plus.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft applications; Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc., as well as other computer software.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Time management, analytical, team working, problem solving and good presentation skills.
About American Axle & Manufacturing
For over 20 years, customers around the world have entrusted AAM to design, engineer, validate and manufacture driveline, metal forming, powertrain, and casting technologies for automotive, commercial and industrial markets. Today, we are a premier global Tier 1 automotive supplier with broad capabilities across multiple product lines to deliver efficient, powerful and innovative solutions for our customers. We’ve earned the trust of our suppliers and our customers through our steadfast commitments to quality, operational excellence and technology leadership.
AAM delivers power. We deliver power literally through vehicle components, systems and innovation, but we also deliver power in ways unseen. We power our associates, their families, and the communities in which we operate. Our global team of over 25,000 associates has a clear vision of where AAM is going and how we are going to get there. After all, they are the reason we are a leader in the automotive industry. We are powering the future. We are AAM. Move with us, and join #TeamAAM.
AAM will not discriminate against any Associate or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. AAM will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that Associates are treated equally during employment, without regard to their age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. For the Disabled Job Seeker: We offer reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled individuals who are applicants for employment. To request assistance or accommodations, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org . AAM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.