Columbus, IN | 70-75k | Direct Hire
Continental Inc is looking for an experienced Metallurgist in Columbus, IN. This is a Supplier Quality position. This includes incoming materials to the Forge Plant, Strength and Hardness testing, problem investigation and analysis and Supplier communications. You must be able to travel to the supplier for auditing of supplier processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of internal material and process specifications including the testing of metals to ensure adherence to quality and safety standards.
- Provide timely and accurate metallurgical assistance to all departments in support of the needs of the business including monitoring and testing for corrosion and the production of technical reports related to research, investigations, and analyses.
- Support Product Development cost reduction activities.
- Must be familiar with standard processes such as mechanical properties testing and metallographic sample preparation and analysis.
- Must have experience with Fracture analysis, Ferrous heat-treating, quench & temper, annealing and carburizing, Ferrous metallographic techniques and steel microstructures. Able to efficiently and effectively organize, conduct, and report on a metallurgical investigation.
- Lead, specify, direct, perform, and report analysis of failures in materials, tools, and products.
- BS Degree Engineering in Metallurgy, Material Science or Chemistry
- Minimum 2 to 5 years related Metallurgy or Materials Science experience in a foundry or heavy manufacturing facilities.
- Basic understanding of solidification properties of metals and the principals involved
- A PLUS to have experience in either (1) Foundry OR (2) Supervision
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, work style that includes taking initiative, taking ownership, and collaborative problem solving.