Adtalem Global Education/AUC - Manager, Communications
American University of the Caribbean (AUC) School of Medicine is seeking a dynamic communications manager that can help lead and execute internal communications for the university. The ideal candidate will be able to collaborate with many department heads to curate and communicate key pieces to various audiences. We are proud of our rich tradition of preparing students from all walks of life to pursue their dreams, and look forward to having the right candidate join the Communications team.
This position is responsible to ensure production of required communication and the overall consistency, clarity and alignment of internal communications. The Manager, Communications is responsible for working directly with the Director of Communications to develop and deliver an evolving internal communications strategy by defining goals and program planning, conducting detailed audits and assessment of internal audiences, drafting required written communications and managing the day-to-day oversight and coordination of internal communications with Human Resources, Student Services, Enrollment Management and Academic Affairs. The role encompasses the timely co-ordination of communication through a range of channels to ensure ease of access, clarity and consistency.
- Support the establishment and maintenance of continual improvement to ensure aligned, proactive and effective internal communications processes institution-wide for either American University of the Caribbean or Ross University School of Medicine, as assigned.
- Work with Human Resources, Student Services, Enrollment Management and Academic Affairs to implement coordinated and planned communications and to provide oversight of all communications to ensure consistency of messaging and alignment with defined institutional objectives. (This position does not directly plan, write or distribute functional day-to-day communications to the audiences managed by these departments; instead this position provides a coordinating and aligning function for the overall institution).
- Outline, research and draft all communications as required by the Communications Department.
- Support executive management by drafting and/or editing communications as needed.
- Liaise with Directors institution-wide to develop and deliver a simple coordinated process in order to provide effective, aligned communications.
- Conduct detailed audits and assessments of internal audiences on a regular and consistent basis; and to report on those assessments, including recommendations for addressing identified issues of concern.
- Track communication outcomes by audience against planning and goals.
- Ensure that internal departments have the appropriate skills and support to deliver and share communications – e.g. business change managers, focus groups and communications audits.
- Coordinate with the Internal Communications Team and management to define and develop needed communication vehicles such as newsletters, eBulletins, briefing materials, Town Hall Meetings, road shows, meetings and special events.
- Develop regular feedback channels to promote cross communication within the assigned institution and to ensure that messages are being delivered in a consistent and timely manner to the appropriate audiences. This includes:
- Monitoring the results of feedback to ensure continuous improvement in communications.
- Developing knowledge and understanding of internal communication tools and techniques and how these can best be used within the institution.
- Sharing best practices with other colleagues, particularly with the departmental directors/ deans.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- The ability to suggest what information should be presented to internal audiences, the methods by which it should be delivered and the timing for the information's release, to support those ideas with research or experience; and be willing to speak up to the Lead Manager of Communications when advice is needed, even if it is not requested.
- The ability to prepare a communication plan including goals for communications, methods used to achieve those goals, the time frame in which the steps will be executed, and definition of lead responsibility by goal. The plan must be consistent with the Medical Schools’ mission, vision, values and external messaging.
- Must possess excellent writing, spelling and grammar skills, write and publish newsletter articles, short messages for electronic formats, FAQs, blog entries, Intranet and website pages, and other materials; and be comfortable writing or collaborating with external communications team for institutional press releases.
- Expected to continually seek information on trends and techniques in internal communication, read trade journals and books, attend conferences and participate in web-based forums with other internal communication professionals and be able to evaluate which new ideas and technologies would be appropriate and successful for assigned institution.
- The ability to determine whether initiatives are successful, be familiar with techniques for measuring the results of communication efforts (including surveys and focus groups) and be able to take the information gained through measurement and use it to adjust communication planning as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in communication, journalism, marketing or a related field. Masters degree preferred (or equivalent experience)
- 8-12 years of experience in related positions
- Well-developed writing and journalistic skills
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office, project planning software and Content Management software.
- Experience in writing and/or editing scripts for video presentations.
- Experience in using social media, cell phone media, video/audio and text blogs, and other current web-based media.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
The purpose of Adtalem Global Education is to empower students to achieve their goals, find success, and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Adtalem Global Education Inc. (NYSE: ATGE; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) is a leading global education provider and the parent organization of American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Becker Professional Education, Chamberlain University, EduPristine, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. For more information, please visit adtalem.com.