Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
IT leader responsible for delivery and maintenance of moderate to high risk programs and providing onsite Tier III support for the AMTEC Train Dispatch, ET SCADA and PTC Systems for the New York Division (NYD). The scope of the role includes oversight of multiple projects, cross-department interfaces, multiple technologies, and assets across the New York for Amtrak and LIRR. Responsibilities also include oversight of hardware, software and network upgrades to maintain a secure and highly reliable operating level; development and monitoring of security policy and practices for AMTEC equipment and network; and development of operating and trouble-shooting procedures. This role reports to the CETC Director, will have NYD Electronic Specialists as direct reports and directs contractor technical staff in the performance of ongoing system maintenance, enhancements and daily operations.
- Coordinate multiple project teams, vendors and assets to ensure timely and cost-effective sequencing and execution of critical path milestones across several inter-dependent projects.
- Manages the relationships with LIRR and coordinate AMTEC modifications required for SOGR and infrastructure enhancement projects in LIRR’s capital programs involving Branch Lines.
- Directs, supervises, and manages the 24/7 availability of AMTEC, ET_SCADA command and control dispatching theatre facilities, computer system facilities and infrastructures, and extensive fault-tolerant network capabilities
- Recommends system functional enhancements as identified by system users and local stakeholders.
- Participates in division’s projects, construction and design groups monthly meetings and provides technical assistance to the requested functional enhancements.
- Directs and manages the accurate exchange of AMTEC operational data with various Amtrak departments including Information Technology, Engineering, Operations/CNOC and Finance departments.
- Interfaces with vendor supplied technical specialists in the review of system operations, problem resolution, and system upgrades.
- Coordinates with Tenant Railroad for operations, problem resolution, and AMTEC system interface upgrades to Tenant Railroad systems
- Provides Engineering Tier III support for federally mandated AMTEC Trouble Desk incident investigations.
- Plans and implements hardware and software upgrades to maintain the equipment at a secure and reliable operating level, reviews and facilitate operating system upgrades on an on-going basis.
- Supports the networking, including routers, switches, terminal concentrators, modems, firewalls and responsible for network security policy and practices
- Develops operating and trouble-shooting procedures for Electronic Specialists
- Plans and implements changes and upgrades to network infrastructure
- Develops and maintains documentation on the network architecture and administrative procedures and provides emergency system and network support to the Electronic Specialists on a 24/7 basis
- Coordinates all AMTEC related project and maintenance work with Transportation management and outside stakeholders including system cutovers, testing, etc.
- Leads and assists in AMTEC system incidents/failure response and reporting, collaborating across IT teams and business groups as needed
- Monitors system hardware and software performance and provides recommendation for capital improvement and investment
- Represents AMTEC system management in meetings with Transportation, Engineering, vendors and various system stakeholders
- Coordinates contractor activity at AMTEC sites
- Manages ET SCADA & PTC-STS systems upgrade and maintenance releases
- Ensures that time sensitive emergency situations receive immediate identification and implementation of corrective actions.
- Builds strong relationships within Amtrak to understand the business challenges, opportunities and customer satisfaction through consistent and reliable performance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with seven years relevant experience or eleven years equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Must have extensive experience in similar real-time railroad control systems and their operations, and extensive experience in software and systems development.
- Detailed knowledge in the configuration, implementation and maintenance of multiple platform computer system hardware and operating system software.
- Extensive experience in progressing hardware/software projects through their entire lifecycle including specification, design, implementation, testing, maintenance and documentation.
- In depth knowledge in the configuration, implementation and maintenance of Windows and Linux based systems
- Detailed knowledge in the design, configuration and maintenance of communications networks including switches, routers and firewalls
- Skills in oral and written communication to present technical designs, operational procedures, and system documentation
- Ability to interact and deal effectively with individuals and committees with diverse, non-technical backgrounds
- Master’s degree in Computer Science with nine years relevant experience or thirteen years equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Extensive experience in software development and systems management in a related field.
- Detailed knowledge in the configuration, implementation and maintenance of HP Nonstop computer Guardian operating system
- In depth knowledge in the selection, configuration, integration and maintenance of HP Nonstop computer hardware components
- Extensive experience in progressing hardware/software projects through their entire lifecycle including specification, design, implementation, testing, maintenance and documentation, using industry standard system development lifecycle methodologies
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):New York
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology