|Reference # :||18-07292||Title :||Microbiology Lab Technician|
|Location :||Pleasanton, CA|
|Position Type :||Contract|
|Experience Level :||Start Date / End Date :||04/02/2018 / 09/28/2018|
As a microbiology Technician within the Advanced Measurement Sciences (AMS) department, you will be a part of dynamic, collaborative team with an important role in the development of every product created by Clorox R&D. The Microbiology group within AMS serves a critical role, providing technical guidance and microbiological expertise to all Clorox Strategic Business Units (SBUs), including Cleaning, Healthcare, Specialty (Foods, Litter, Charcoal, Glad, Renew Life, and Burt's Bees Personal Care), and International. The Microbiology group works closely with multiple R&D groups including Product Development, Process, Package and other teams across all stages of the development life-cycle from concept to commercialization. The group operates in a new state-of-the-art laboratory at the Clorox Pleasanton R&D campus in Pleasanton, California (San Francisco Bay Area). You will have a critical role as a technician, supporting the laboratory evaluation of numerous products, collaborating between scientists and other technicians to test and evaluate all microbiological aspects of new formulations as they are developed, generating data that informs decisions across all Clorox businesses.
Key Responsibilities (in descending order of importance) and % of Time:
1. Execute a variety of simple to complex microbiological laboratory experiments in collaboration with other technicians and scientists to support numerous Clorox business units
2. Collaborate with scientists to collect, evaluate, and present data to inform teams to enable project decisions.
3. Pursue constant improvement and innovation of techniques to drive efficiency and enhanced capabilities within the microbiology laboratory
4. Manage the microbiology laboratory in collaboration with other technicians through laboratory upkeep, maintenance, and ordering all equipment and supplies
5. Grow professionally through learning new laboratory techniques, gradually developing expertise in specific areas related to Clorox businesses and products
Years and Type of Experience:
· 1+ years of microbiology laboratory experience beyond a Bachelor's degree in microbiology, biology, biochemistry, or related fields. Preference for experience in an industrial microbiology or related laboratory environment, such as working in Biosafety Level-2 (BSL-2) rated spaces.
Skills and Abilities:
· Experienced with the standard tools and methods of microbiology, such as pipetting, plating, identification, media preparation, including working in anaerobic environments
· Strong focus and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize accuracy while following best practices in a fast-paced industrial laboratory environment
· Ability to build effective relationships and collaborate with team members across various levels of technical expertise, from technicians through advanced scientists
· Coordinate testing schedules, balancing effective use of multitasking and single experiment focus with an emphasis on generation of valid, accurate, and precise results
· Problem solving and trouble-shooting skills to work with scientists to identify and execute appropriate experimental rigor to generate accurate data
· Strong team player, with a collaborative, helpful mindset to enable microbiology group to work together to win
· Ability to work independently/with minimal supervision to execute detailed tasks, operations, procedures, and experiments while maintaining a safe, effective microbiology laboratory
· Familiarity with spreadsheets (Microsoft Excel, Minitab experience a plus), including data entry, interpretation, graphing, and presenting results effectively through technical reports
Bachelor's degree in Microbiology or related science discipline with relevant microbiology experience